Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear XRC Armor W/ Flush Mohnts

Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll start with this: I bashed my quarter panel in about a month ago so I needed a way to cover it up. I started making rear armor like the poison spyder and such. I started a thread on it a couple weeks ago. Well, I was almost done with it, and it actually isn't too bad looking, when I found a set of the smittybilt xrc rear corners and the body cladding for only $100! The guy won an auction full of scratch/sent jk, tj, and yj stuff. (Something that I almost dream of, lol) The armor itself isn't in bad shape. It has a couple scratches that had very light surface rust on them. None of that matters to me, because I'm not fond of the smittybilt finish anyway. I also don't like how the taillights are set up. I toyed with the idea of just cutting off the bend and butting up curved piece but came to the conclusion it would be easier to just block off the holes and cut out some round holes for flush mounts. Be searched and haven't found anyone who's done it so I'm hoping it turns out alright. Worst cast I'll run it until I make a corner and just redo it. I'm still deciding if I want to color match it gloss black or just bed line them. Here's where I'm at, I'll post more up when I get time.
Also this last picture is the only one I've found like it. I don't think the guy is still active on jkfreaks anymore though. His jeep is wicked though..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2697072451.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	642812   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1482414011.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	642813   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-829495745.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	642814   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-232416981.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	642815  

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 04-04-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Picked up some tail lights from Amazon.

Name:	image-2652555704.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	642836  
Old 04-08-2016, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Cut the holes for the lights today.

Name:	image-3981859573.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	643175   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1965245489.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	643176  
Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I dont understand

So you did all that fiberglass work and they are not going to be flush? I like the Picture of the Anvil color Jeep with the Poison Spyder Rears. I went with Pandemic rears and they have already paid off, I slid off some rocks into a wall...

I totally feel ya though I feel like you got to pay to play sometimes.... Breaking crap is bound to happen wheeling hard.

Name:	The Smash.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	643182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of Daniel.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	643183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	643184   Click image for larger version

Name:	After4Washes.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	643185  
Old 04-08-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

For 1. It's welded, not fiberglass
2. You paid $200 for $15 trailer lights and a $3 8.5x6.5" piece of metal.
3. You probably have more time in yours than I do
4. They are flush, I boxed in there the armor wraps around the stock taillights. That's 3/16 steel so I'm hardly nervous about it breaking.
5. I'm not sure why you're posting pictures of your jeep on my thread as I couldn't give a shit less.
6. I also don't understand your reference to paying to play?
7. I don't have press brake or I would've just cut off where it wraps around and bent a piece to fit it. I'll probably do it in the future but until I'm off spending probation my took budget is on lockdown.
8. You should come to Wellsville, Ohio sometime. I'd love to get the chance to lead you somewhere you wouldn't be able to get out of and then laugh at your fancy taillights.
Lol
Old 04-08-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Default Metal

Well that makes more sense being metal more durable. I'm not Familiar with the SRC smitty fender/Quarter panels. Being metal is defiantly better than plastic or fiberglass.. I was under the impression they were like bushwhacker fenders.

What did you use to cut the holes? oxy acetylene torch? Plasma Cutter? I'm a welder so I'm interested in the process.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Well that makes more sense being metal more durable. I'm not Familiar with the SRC smitty fender/Quarter panels. Being metal is defiantly better than plastic or fiberglass.. I was under the impression they were like bushwhacker fenders. What did you use to cut the holes? oxy acetylene torch? Plasma Cutter? I'm a welder so I'm interested in the process.
I used a plasma cutter.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

yeah looking back at the Pandemic lights... I got hosed.... If I had access to a set of metal rollers I could have made the entire thing for $30. It sucks sometimes having the skills but not having the access to the machines to do it. Well Keep us updated on the progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
yeah looking back at the Pandemic lights... I got hosed.... If I had access to a set of metal rollers I could have made the entire thing for $30. It sucks sometimes having the skills but not having the access to the machines to do it. Well Keep us updated on the progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
It is what it is. I don't mean to hate. Trust me I think they look great and you did you a good job installing them. I never seen them until your thread. I actually thought they would be a perfect fit where I boxed my armor in until I saw the price.

I've got a local fabricator looking into "mass" producing them for exceptionally cheaper. They should be coming soon.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
It is what it is. I don't mean to hate. Trust me I think they look great and you did you a good job installing them. I never seen them until your thread. I actually thought they would be a perfect fit where I boxed my armor in until I saw the price.

I've got a local fabricator looking into "mass" producing them for exceptionally cheaper. They should be coming soon.
I boils down to I got lazy. Should have made them myself like you said.
All the kit is crap you can get off Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Anodize...ilpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/AutoSmart-KL-2...22+Brake+light

Amazon.com: 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor): Automotive

Some Allen bolts and a Curved 3/16 piece of metal and some power coating.

I wish I had a huge ass Turret Punch for the 4"hole and some a set of Adjustable Metal Rollers and I could have made it in about 10 minutes unpainted.

Quick Reply: Rear XRC Armor W/ Flush Mohnts