Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference on Transmission cooler lines remove/install???

Old 12-10-2015, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reference on Transmission cooler lines remove/install???

I am going to be conducting this on my 2010 JKUR due to leaks where the crimped hose meets the lines. I found a solution to the issue but i need the lines removed to get it done. I was wondering if anyone could refer me to a remove/install thread or if anyone had done this and could provide pointers. Tools, fluids, techniques, watch outs, ect.
The following users liked this post:
Chelle Miles (03-16-2019)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a photo to clarify what I'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-667364394.jpg
Views:	4921
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	631984  
Old 12-11-2015, 01:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a transmission cooler lines recall for some model years.
I would check if that covers your Jeep.

If not...
I recently installed the Flex-a-Lite trans cooler on my JK. While I just cut the hose and used barbed push-on fittings, the installation instructions tell you to cut the lines behind the crimps and use a double flaring tool on the lines. Afterwards you can push a hose on the flared ends and secure it with hose clamps.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that info. I am just past the recall suspense unfortunately and I believe iv found a solid solution to the fix. I'm just wondering about pulling off the actual lines to get the work done.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
There is a transmission cooler lines recall for some model years. I would check if that covers your Jeep. If not... I recently installed the Flex-a-Lite trans cooler on my JK. While I just cut the hose and used barbed push-on fittings, the installation instructions tell you to cut the lines behind the crimps and use a double flaring tool on the lines. Afterwards you can push a hose on the flared ends and secure it with hose clamps.
Has it helped? I've been thinking about installing a cooler on my 08' I can be sitting in traffic with the window down and feel the heat coming from underneath.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Bump. Anybody got anything
Old 12-12-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/Grv7gUR4yWQ
Old 12-16-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf_425
Has it helped? I've been thinking about installing a cooler on my 08' I can be sitting in traffic with the window down and feel the heat coming from underneath.

Yeah, it does help. At highway speed there is no noticeable difference between having a cooler or not.
But in the city or in traffic it really does make a difference.

I have the torque pro app to watch my trans fluid temp.

A few days before I installed the cooler, when I drove to work, the trans temp was about 130°F when I drove off the highway and into the city.
10 minutes into the city the trans temp has reached 180°F.

Yesterday, after driving through the city for 30 minutes the trans temp read 150°F.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by easy843
Bump. Anybody got anything
They are fairly easy to remove. Chrysler calls for a quick release tool that works great, but you can just pop the plastic retainer rings free and release the metal retainer clips with a pick tool. Once released they just pull straight out of the side of the trans and from the junction block that goes to the factory cooler. To install an aftermarket aux. cooler you splice into the return line (upper one), run it to the aux cooler, then run the aux coolers return back into the return line. Or you can use the Mopar aux cooler which simply clicks into the junction block from the factory cooler.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

That mopar quick release tool is a pain to find. And expensive if you do find it. I struggled with this for a week trying to find a tool to work. I ended up,using a set of picks( similar to dental picks) that I bought at harbor freight for about $5. The trick is you need to be able to get something small like the pick behind it enough to slide that clip out. Then you can grab it with some needle nose players and pull.the lines will pop off very easily. Be ready for some tranny fluid to start dripping from the lines.good luck. Also if you check with your local NAPA they can actually put a better night pressure fitting on that hose for a fraction of the factory cost. Oem ran me about $120
The following users liked this post:
Chelle Miles (03-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Reference on Transmission cooler lines remove/install???