Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regearing cost

Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
Houston Tx area 1450 front and rear with gussets and sleeves.
What shop is this? How were the results, any problems?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riznoy
If your looking for a shop in jersey check out globex, heard good things about them, going to them for my sleeves and gussets whenever Northridge decides to ship them.
Globex is a hole in the wall, I've been there before for a few things and I wasn't happy with anything but the lift install. There are a few shops that I would recommend, I've had bad experiences with a few as well. The only place I haven't gone yet is OK4WD and that was purely from a price perspective. After all the trouble I've had every where else I think I'll be taking my jeep to OK for the next project.
Originally Posted by loserhead4236
OK4wd in Stewartsville, on 57. I hear they do great work but can sometimes be a little pricey, though I thought that the price wasn't that bad.
I was going to check this place out until I found out its 2 hours away..
I would say it's better to pay a little more and have it done right the first time.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just outside of Denver, got gears installed for $400 labor.

Total job cost me $920 with parts & fluids.

Done by Brian Morehouse in Georgetown, he does lots of axle work for people around here & used to build high end Diesels with 5x the power of my lowly 3.8
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by backcountryislife

Done by Brian Morehouse in Georgetown, he does lots of axle work for people around here & used to build high end Diesels with 5x the power of my lowly 3.8

Thats GREAT to hear......I live in Dillon, so that's not far from me at all.......So you would DEFINITELY recommend??
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for sharing your regear costs. Keep the posts coming. From what I see so far, the $1600 - $1900 range is pretty common for having work done at a reputable shop. This price is for total parts, labor, fluids, and tax.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backcountryislife

Wow, well Denver's not too far from albuquerque. Maybe have to take a long weekend. That's a super price. Curious to hear from other people who've had gears done by this person.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SummitCo.Skier

Thats GREAT to hear......I live in Dillon, so that's not far from me at all.......So you would DEFINITELY recommend??
Without question.

This guy used to have a well know diesel and 2 stroke shop, and has built some amazing 1000+ HP machines, and everyone in the county uses him for jeep stuff. He had health issues (broken back from sledding) and shut down a few years ago. Now he just does jobs he wants to do, no more of the heavy stuff, but he does the technical work and he's very good.

Pm me for contact info, he uses Bragg automotive in Georgetown as a location, but you want to talk to him to schedule an appt.

He's reasonable because he likes to do it. I was pretty stoked to see the price, I know he's a fair guy so didn't even ask before I brought it to him, so wasn't sure what it was going to run me.

As to other folks, you'd probably have to ask diesel guys about MPM, I doubt the other locals I know that have had him do them are online much... we're a pretty backwoods community up here.

Last edited by backcountryislife; 12-12-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump for more responses
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got quoted today by a local 4x4 shop here in Tucson. $3100 for Superior 4.88's front and rear, install gussets and sleeves, install new Coast 1310 driveshafts F/R and yolks (which I already own), caster bolts, alignment, chassis lube and inspection. I bought the Jeep recently with a 4" Teraflex lift that was installed years ago... so I want them to make sure it's all up to snuff. The previous owner did not re-gear, the front driveshaft was shot, and the front e-locker just blinks. So there's bound to be some more diagnostic charges too...but I think the actual re-gear cost was $900 per pumpkin. I opted out of new chromoly axles and u-joints for the time being, as that would have been another $1800 (if I remember correctly).

Last edited by Chamberlin; 12-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chamberlin
there's bound to be some more diagnostic charges too...but I think the actual re-gear cost was $900 per pumpkin. (if I remember correctly).
I just choked on my own hand.

That is retarded.
There is NO reason to pay that kind of money. It does not take that kind of time to do this job. Man it makes me sick seeing shops that take advantage of people (or that suck so bad that they're slow enough they NEED to charge that kind of money.)

lets assume worst case scenario, full retail on parts, $375 for R&P, master install, and fluids (no reason to pay that much), this leaves $525 for labor. Assuming $105/ hr, they're claiming it takes 5 hours to get ONE axle done. The guy who did mine did both in about 6.5 hours WITH me screwing things up by not having the right gears (had two rears despite having the right boxes) on a rubicon.

Maybe that's just a factor of knowing WTF you're doing, but if someone can't do the job in a reasonable time they're not someone I want working on my truck. Higher price doesn't mean a better job.... the guys that know WTF they're doing know they can do the job faster & right the first time.

Last edited by backcountryislife; 12-14-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Regearing cost