Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing whoes... :tantrum:

Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Regearing whoes... :tantrum:

So like anyone that bought a JK with 3.21 gears, it blows donkey balls and i'm upgrading to 4.56's to help out with the 33's I have installed. I didn't realize how much of a pain in the ass re-gearing a new JK (2014) was going to be. I did lots of research, and I figured I had it all figured out, WRONG.

So like any one else that is poor and doesn't make lots of money, I've been saving up and buying parts as I can afford to. My first purchase was a set of Yukon 4.56 Ring and Pinion gears for the front Dana 30 and for the Dana 44 rear. I also ordered Yukon minimal install kits per the direction of the rep at Morris 4x4. And that was MISTAKE #1. Never ever ever ever buy a minimal install kit, always get the master install kit. What i've found out is that a shop will not warranty the work, and some won't even touch it if you don't have the bearings as well. It seems more times than not the bearings are damaged when they try to remove them from the old carrier. So I just shipped them back to Morris today, and i'm going to be in search for cheap master install kits.

The second problem i've run into is what size bolts to get. I know factory Mopar is 1/2", but i'm also going to Truetracs front and rear, and truetracs are duel drilled for 7/16 and 3/8. I was told by Morris and also Northridge 4x4 that the Yukons were duel drilled for 1/2 and 3/8. NOT!!!!!!! When I busted the ring gears out for the front and rear, they look like all different sizes to me. It looks like the front is 3/8, and the rear is drilled for 7/16 and 1/2. WTF!! This was after I Northridge 4x4 told me that the front and rear is drilled to 7/16, which of course I ordered a 20 pack of. See for yourself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gears.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	595580

Now i'm wondering if i'm going to have to order a set of 3/8 bolts too. The good news is, I won't have to drill out the truetracs, which was the entire point of me asking the questions up front to begin with.

So, what is the stock mopar ring gear bolt size for the front D30 ring gear on a newer model JK? Also, does anyone know what the holes are drilled to on the ring gears I have from Yukon. And yes, I call Yukon gear themselves, and they have no clue. Yes i'm serious.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you called us about this? Most of the yukons are dual drilled. All you have to do is call us and we can help you with the ring gear bolts.

Edit- I just looked and didn't realize you didn't order the gears or truetracs from us. If you buy our overhaul kits they come with two sets of bolts. But again we will still help you .

David
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please pm me a quote on the over haul kits

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Have you called us about this? Most of the yukons are dual drilled. All you have to do is call us and we can help you with the ring gear bolts.

Edit- I just looked and didn't realize you didn't order the gears or truetracs from us. If you buy our overhaul kits they come with two sets of bolts. But again we will still help you .

David

Quick Reply: Regearing whoes... :tantrum: