Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets - post them here

Old 08-21-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 46chevytruck
$800!!
Was that for a whole new top or just window?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Was that for a whole new top or just window?
rear window with defroster and tint. $2,800 for full top.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Having gears installed and not installing a locker at the same time.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Buying RK coils. Buying long-lasting tires. Living in an area where there isn't much wheeling.
what's wrong with RK coils?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
what's wrong with RK coils?
I believe they're over hyped. They're nice but they certainly don't cure world hunger like you'd be lead to believe by the internet. I've seen my own coils and a friend's set start to settle down considerably from install. Neither of us are running enough weight to where it should be an issue. He's actually got a stock 4dr soft top Rubicon with no daily spare tire so there's no excuse for his settling.

I'd be up for selling my coils tomorrow and trying a new manufacturer. OME or maybe Metalcloak. I'm not saying the RK's are "bad", they're just not what they're jazzed up to be and people are starting to notice this. While people are noticing, nobody wants to say much because nobody wants to admit they bought into hype and it's not as prefect as they thought. I'm not afraid to admit it, I'll own this one.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Buying a used 08 instead of waiting and buying a new 12...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not purchasing next taller spring from MC. The "look" of the vehicle is great when not loaded up. Loaded up though i lose about an inch which means not so great angles / ground clearance when it counts
Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 46chevytruck
Regret dropping my hard too and smashing the rear glass. Pretty damn expensive for a flat price of glass.
If you have glass coverage on your insurance, you can make a claim and only pay your glass deductible. Usually $50-$100. It works on all glass on your Jeep. Busted my back glass on my WK a few years back and was given the same advice
Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Firmly starting to regret the 37" tires I bought a couple weeks ago and the RK 3.5" springs.

Now I am starting to see why:
Many people go to and stop at 35" tires.
Many people cut flares and pinch seams rather than try to get the lift high enough to clear 37" rubber with no cutting.

There is a lot of pain in my Jeep life currently. And it all costs money to cure.
I am taking back what I said. I was skeered and running out of money.

I worked through it all and got everything sorted out for this summer and have wheeled it in PA, Ohio and Colorado and love the 37" STT Pro tires (some chunking has occurred) and the RK springs. Yes, the RK 3.5" triple rates have sagged compared to when new and the at-rest height is not as high as I would like, and the rear really sags when loaded with tools, cooler and gear for wheeling... but the overall ride quality and expanded length is great. They allow me to keep tires on the ground under 98% of the situations encountered with 28" shocks. I ended up with 3" front and rear bump stops that worked out perfectly for my 37" tires and precluded me having to do any cutting of the stock flares or pinch seams, and I can almost completely collapse the shocks while hard into the bump stops and have the tires just kissing the flares and ticking off of the plastic rivets. Once I got it all done and spent a couple weeks off road with it, I have decided that I freaking love this thing. I've got 5,000 miles on it so far this year, and the street ride is awesome on interstates and around town while the off road ride and performance is mind blowing. All is good in my life and love my Jeep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_124334.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	655765

Name:	20160827_181744.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	655766

Name:	20160826_162455.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	655767

Name:	20160827_123142.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	655768
Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I believe they're over hyped. They're nice but they certainly don't cure world hunger like you'd be lead to believe by the internet. I've seen my own coils and a friend's set start to settle down considerably from install. Neither of us are running enough weight to where it should be an issue. He's actually got a stock 4dr soft top Rubicon with no daily spare tire so there's no excuse for his settling.

I'd be up for selling my coils tomorrow and trying a new manufacturer. OME or maybe Metalcloak. I'm not saying the RK's are "bad", they're just not what they're jazzed up to be and people are starting to notice this. While people are noticing, nobody wants to say much because nobody wants to admit they bought into hype and it's not as prefect as they thought. I'm not afraid to admit it, I'll own this one.
If you are sagging excessively rk will take care of you, but you will have to jump thru some hopes first. They will have you take measurements etc and if in fact sagging send you new coils. My ass end started sagging bad and after a few weeks of back and forth and photos showing many different things which really had no affect on sag they sent me new coils. It was an exercise in frustration but paid off. I will say they ride great on and off road but my next set will be something different most likely.

Quick Reply: Regrets - post them here