Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets - post them here

Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i would have bought a crew cab diesel....if im gonna get 12 mpg...might as well be able to haul the family and a trailer.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what your circumstances are, and you may have done this already. So if i'm talking down on your skill level, please accept my advanced apology.

With that said, you can't slap headers on something and expect it to help. And a run of the mill tuner won't do it either. Call Nelson and get them to do a custom tune for your jeep, which will be matched to all your mods.

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Borla long tube headers. They lose power
Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Well, PM me a quote. It's not so much the parts that concern me, it's the labor....
PM Sent
Old 07-02-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regret NOT pulling the trigger on a dirt cheap set of rubi rim and tire take offs. Dirt cheap. Ah still kicking myself...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regret joining this forum, the 1000 threads about mod regret, jeep waves, running 37's on a d30, and fitting 35's with no lift turn this into groundhog day. Yet I keep looking...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not in love with my Smittybilt neoprene seat covers. They're doing their job, but there's much much cooler and more functional examples out there.

I'm also not super-thrilled with using spacers with my stock wheels. The spacers themselves are good quality and no issues with them, but I'm not thrilled with how the wheel sits in relation to the axle and how that looks. If I did it over (and I might...) I'd buy aftermarket wheels with the correct offset and eliminate the spacers as a piece of complexity.

Other than that, the lift, bumpers, winch, tire carrier, 33's, all good. I only regret not taking more trips with it!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Former Vendor

Not sure what your circumstances are, and you may have done this already. So if i'm talking down on your skill level, please accept my advanced apology.

With that said, you can't slap headers on something and expect it to help. And a run of the mill tuner won't do it either. Call Nelson and get them to do a custom tune for your jeep, which will be matched to all your mods.
I have a professional tuner here who has done all of the tuning work on my JK. For reference, I run an Avenger supercharger with a smaller pulley and E85 (summer time). I doubled my stock wheel horsepower numbers.

We put the headers on and did a pass. Saw the loss and removed the stock muffler just to see if it was still the restriction - no effect. If I remember right, we played with the tuning a little bit but werent seeing gains. We gave up because we were slapping the smaller pulley on that same day so wanted to dedicate more time to tuning with the new pulley instead of trying to correct Borla's issue.

I emailed Borla multiple times stating I had dyno graphs to support my claim. I never received a single response.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW! That is nuts. I've not messed with the 3.6L, but it blows my mind that the headers hurt you, especially with a charger and proper tune. That can only mean one thing, the factory set up was well thought out, and it just simply doesn't get any better. Thanks for sharing.

The supercharger seems to be the only way to really get RWHP out of these jeeps. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price tag installed? Did you upgrade your shafts as well to help prevent spin offs?

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
I have a professional tuner here who has done all of the tuning work on my JK. For reference, I run an Avenger supercharger with a smaller pulley and E85 (summer time). I doubled my stock wheel horsepower numbers.

We put the headers on and did a pass. Saw the loss and removed the stock muffler just to see if it was still the restriction - no effect. If I remember right, we played with the tuning a little bit but werent seeing gains. We gave up because we were slapping the smaller pulley on that same day so wanted to dedicate more time to tuning with the new pulley instead of trying to correct Borla's issue.

I emailed Borla multiple times stating I had dyno graphs to support my claim. I never received a single response.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor

WOW! That is nuts. I've not messed with the 3.6L, but it blows my mind that the headers hurt you, especially with a charger and proper tune. That can only mean one thing, the factory set up was well thought out, and it just simply doesn't get any better. Thanks for sharing.

The supercharger seems to be the only way to really get RWHP out of these jeeps. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price tag installed? Did you upgrade your shafts as well to help prevent spin offs?

I think mine was about ~5500 installed. I have not upgraded my shafts and have not had any supercharger related issues with them.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Buying a 2011 instead of waiting the few months for the '12's to come out.

Quick Reply: Regrets - post them here