Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start on new unlimited

Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start on new unlimited

Question, Is there a way to disable the remote start on a new unlimited ? My wife is scared that the jeep will start in the garage all by itself. She heard of a new jeep doing that here in Ohio. Killed the people in the house. Thanks All
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 AM
JK Freak

you can probably look up how to unplug the remote starter, or you can have the dealership disable it, but I honestly can not fathom how a remote start would ever start itself without pressing start on the key fob, or how accidental / random starting of the remote start could ever harm the residents of the house. even if the garage were attached remote start only runs for 15 minutes then it shuts off, no way enough exhaust builds up and gets in for that to be an issue, and if they had a manual in 4 lo with remote starter, well that was a self inflicted suicide since thats the only way a manual can start in gear and overcome the parking break.

you really have nothing to worry about, the odds of a remote starter fatality are lower then you winning the powerball 5 years in a row.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that'd be one hell of a recall! I've enjoyed remote start so much, my wife even insisted remote start be a must have for all our current and future rigs....never ever have I had it start by itself, that sounds like something out of a Steven King novel.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old medic
Question, Is there a way to disable the remote start on a new unlimited ? My wife is scared that the jeep will start in the garage all by itself. She heard of a new jeep doing that here in Ohio. Killed the people in the house. Thanks All
How did it kill the people in the house? I can only think of 2 ways and well both would be extreme circumstances.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like they actually left the jeep running not the remote start. Like others have said it only runs for 15min not long enough to kill everyone in a house. So your wife has no worries
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Remote Start

I've left mine running after remote start in the garage. Brushed teeth, had breakfast and messed with kids.
Then wondered why the garage was a lil warmer that usual. Forgot to open garage door.....DOH.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Carbon monoxide poisoning is high unlikely now in closed environments with newer cars. Without oxygen , no computer will allow it to run anymore. Once 02 is gone it will die Sent using smoke signals my understanding is the 02 sensor will lean it out until it starves of fuel
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
Carbon monoxide poisoning is high unlikely now in closed environments with newer cars. Without oxygen , no computer will allow it to run anymore. Once 02 is gone it will die Sent using smoke signals my understanding is the 02 sensor will lean it out until it starves of fuel
Nobody's garage is this airtight. If you run a new vehicle long enough you will get carbon monoxide buildup.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a co detector in the garage or inside the door going to the garage. If you don't already have combination co/smoke detectors throughout your home you should.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But to answer your question, the dealer SHOULD be able to hook up their magic box and simply program the remote start option out of your vehicle computer.

Quick Reply: remote start on new unlimited