Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust help needed

Old 07-31-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust help needed

It's purchased a magnaflow pro off road series exhaust. That's not why I'm posting though. I can't for the life of me get the stock exhaust off. The bolt right behind the Y and infront of the cat is stuck on. The nut is on the top of the exhaust (so between exhaust and body) and I've tried everything to get it off other then getting out the saw and cutting it off. Does anybody have any tips/tricks?

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a torch, preferably an acetylene torch, you can heat the nut up. That will typically free it right up. Of you don't have anything like that you can spray some PB Blaster on it and let it soak overnight and see if you can break it loose in the morning.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

No torch and I tried some pb on it yesterday. I'll let it soak tonight.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor

Blamb, first off thank you for choosing Magnaflow exhaust for your Jeep. If the bolt for the center resonator to Y-pipe is stuck, you can try soaking it periodically for a full day or more as RFL suggested. Tapping the bolt with a hammer can sometimes help loosen the rust enough to break loose. If you dont have a torch handy, even a heat gun can help!

We wish you luck, and please give us a call if you run in to any issues during the install.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CRC Freeze Off Works well on rusted exhaust bolts. Focus more on the bolt than the nut, give it a few taps while cold, should come loose.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Heat and lube. Get a $15 propane torch from the Home Depot.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blamb0830
It's purchased a magnaflow pro off road series exhaust. That's not why I'm posting though. I can't for the life of me get the stock exhaust off. The bolt right behind the Y and infront of the cat is stuck on. The nut is on the top of the exhaust (so between exhaust and body) and I've tried everything to get it off other then getting out the saw and cutting it off. Does anybody have any tips/tricks?

Thank you in advance!!!
Wd40 and wobble up down left right work it in the cracks I had same problem, put some gloves on so when it frees u don't slam ur hand into anything behind where ur working lol
Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok guys finally got the exhaust off. And man what a task I ended up drilling out the bolt. That sucked but I hit the nut dead center so once I finished the bolt fell right off. Little did I know there was another one of those dang things right infront of the muffler. Luckily that one came off a tad easier and got the magnaflow installed within 20 minutes of getting the old one off. I love the new sound and would suggest it to anyone!

Thanks for all the help. Guess it is time to purchase a torch!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome! Yeah, if you intend on helping your buddies with there exhaust mods or suspension, a butane torch will come in handy. You can go to a welding supply store to price a small oxyacetylene torch kit but it's a little overkill if you are doing that type of stuff few and far between. A good can of penetrating oil and a butane torch can handle damn near any stuck bolt or nut.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blamb0830
Ok guys finally got the exhaust off. And man what a task I ended up drilling out the bolt. That sucked but I hit the nut dead center so once I finished the bolt fell right off. Little did I know there was another one of those dang things right infront of the muffler. Luckily that one came off a tad easier and got the magnaflow installed within 20 minutes of getting the old one off. I love the new sound and would suggest it to anyone!

Thanks for all the help. Guess it is time to purchase a torch!!!
We're happy to hear it went smoothly more or less, and that you're loving the sound of the new catback!

Quick Reply: Exhaust help needed