Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a power steering pump, any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing a power steering pump, any suggestions?

Anyone had to change out there power steering pump? Just wondering if anyone has had any luck (or not) with specific manufacturers or resellers? This is for a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon. Need to replace mine and only thing i have found so far is one by cardone (part number: 96-1001). It is just the pump, so I will reuse my existing reservoir and pulley.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't myself but I wheel with a buddy who has changed 4 ps pumps. He runs psc hydro now, said the ps pumps will keep failing. He's running 37's on a JKU. I would swap to a hydro setup or at least psc pump or you will replace the factory one again and again. I have an 07 2dr and mine is leaking. When it goes, I will be upgrading.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Default PSC pumps and kits

Taking a look at those now. Looks like one of the "High volume pump kits" or just the pump with pulley seems a good option. I'd like to go partial hyrdo setup but just don't have the money for that right now.

Guess I gotta call them to figure out which one is better for my current needs.

Of course if anyone out there has one of these kits or just the pump, please chime in on your experience with either. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I haven't myself but I wheel with a buddy who has changed 4 ps pumps. He runs psc hydro now, said the ps pumps will keep failing. He's running 37's on a JKU. I would swap to a hydro setup or at least psc pump or you will replace the factory one again and again. I have an 07 2dr and mine is leaking. When it goes, I will be upgrading.
So the pump itself is failing,not the steer gear?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
So the pump itself is failing,not the steer gear?
I was thinking it was the pump given the behavior. At a standstill I can't turn the wheel but with a little bit of acceleration I can turn just fine. I still get a little bit of whine when turning under acceleration but at a standstill I get a lot.

I thought the steering gearbox issues would be with slop in steering and such.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy

I replaced mine a couple months ago I just bought another stocker off ebay and got a good deal. Some of the price quotes I got were insane from dealers and online prices once I had to pay shipping to Canada. My power steering pump actually snapped the shaft off inside the pump. It was the damdest thing driving through a big mud hole I had power steering going in and none coming out. Looked under the hood everything looked fine but when I went to install the new one the pulley pulled right out of the pump.

Any way had I had to have paid dealer price I would have got the PSC upgrade from Northridge but I got a sweet deal on ebay that was close to me and in Canada. Easiest thing ever to change out, but we will see what kind of problems I have down the road though.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
I replaced mine a couple months ago I just bought another stocker off ebay and got a good deal. Some of the price quotes I got were insane from dealers and online prices once I had to pay shipping to Canada. My power steering pump actually snapped the shaft off inside the pump. It was the damdest thing driving through a big mud hole I had power steering going in and none coming out. Looked under the hood everything looked fine but when I went to install the new one the pulley pulled right out of the pump.

Any way had I had to have paid dealer price I would have got the PSC upgrade from Northridge but I got a sweet deal on ebay that was close to me and in Canada. Easiest thing ever to change out, but we will see what kind of problems I have down the road though.
Yeah, I was looking at reman and even new aftermarket pumps that are around $100. But, I don't want to be doing this again after another year and so on. Already enough parts to replace So more likely now to get one of the cylinder assists or just the high volume pump kits. But just wondering now if the high vol. kit will suffice or am I just really kidding myself and will regret paying a little now and then even more later upgrading tot he cylinder assist.

Quick Reply: Replacing a power steering pump, any suggestions?