Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Rack Install (2/3 done) With headliner on JKU

Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Rack Install (2/3 done) With headliner on JKU

I have a garvin rack from a TJ that I plan to mount on my JKU. I ordered a Rhino Rack Backbone system (There was a sale last month - 20% off)

The rhino rack backbone is rated for something like 800lbs static load on the JKU. It adds metal supports to the inside of the hardtop AND a pair of brackets that put the weight up front onto the roll bar. The JK version just adds four mounts, while the JKU totals at 6 mounting pads.

The backbone comes in a nicely organized box. It included one of the hex wrenches, but I ended up digging out my own to do the top rear bolts since they were a different size than the rest.
Beyond that, I needed used the usual metric tools (10mm and 13mm.) My ratcheting wrenches were handy for taking apart the supports when I was re-fitting one of the headliner pieces. (I'd installed one side before I figured out how to make it all work together.

I installed the rear two mounts yesterday and figured I'd write up some notes.
Install is pretty easy. I use a center punch to mark the hole positions. It works well and flakes the paint off to make it even easier to find.
The support system that goes inside the jeep is nicely made. The bolts are coated but not magnetic, maybe SS?

An extra twist was the hothead headliner I installed a few months ago. I opted for the panels that surround the rear windows. I ended up just cutting off a 1" strip that was 7" long front the top corner of each piece. Then I was able to install them with the rhino rack. (I did manage to mangle the corner of the roof piece since I forgot to pull it down while drilling the top bolts on the rear mounts.

I ended up dropping the nuts a few times on the center mounts, which was frustrating. I finally just put some tape on the end of a box wrench to hold the nut in. From there it was an easy job.

So, now the four rearmost mounts are installed. There is one thing I do not like. The support brackets are next to the passengers heads in the rear. I'm going to order some roll bar padding, fill in the angle with some ABS or PVC pipe and wrap them. Personally, I think that Rhino should use a piece of tubing for the front to create a safer passenger area.

To install the last two mounting pads, I have to pull the top. That's required to access the top of the roll bar and to install the brackets.
It also requires some extra drill bits. I found a set of metric step bits on Amazon as an add on item for $3.

I'll update this post with my thoughts once I've got the rest of the mounts installed.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbed and would love to see some pics.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Yesterday I rigged up my elk hoist (double block with rope brake) in the garage and cleared space.
This morning I pulled my hard top and got to work.

Installing the front mount was trivial. I used the paper template, marked the holes with my center punch and drilled them out.
My $3 add on stepper bits from Amazon worked great. I used one of them to drill the holes out (the fiberglass cut like butter) and the mounts fit perfectly.

A few minutes with a small step ladder and I had the inside brackets mounted on the roll bar.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a shot of the inside bracket mounted over the hotheads liner. The smudges are from dirty gloves I had on. (yay more cleaning to do)
As you can see, the bracket runs right along the inside near where passenger heads may be. The plan is still to add some ABS pipe and wrap it with normal roll bar padding. I'm still hunting for some that comes with cloth covering and has the right dimensions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0005.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	658047

Quick Reply: Rhino Rack Install (2/3 done) With headliner on JKU