Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Quality With a Lift

Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Quality With a Lift

I am a U.S. Service member stationed in South Korea. I just ordered a JK Unlimited Rubicon in Red Rock Crystal for delivery to Korea. I have a question. I previously owned a 1997 TJ that was not modified. This summer before my PCS to Korea I drove an 06 Rubicon stock and a TJ that had a custom lift by the Jeep dealership. I was very disappointed in the ride of the lifted Jeep. It was very soft feeling and seemed extremely mushy on road. I felt that I was all over the road. I will primarily drive on road, but do want to go off-roading and mudding (I used to go 1 or 2 times a month in my 97). Does anyone know how much a 3" lift from Full Traction or Tere-flex would effect ride quality? I want it to handle similar to stock.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't speak for Teraflex as I have no personal experience with thier lifts but I can tell you that the Full Traction 6" long arm kit that I'm running on my TJ now offers a ride better than stock. I have run many lift kits in the past and this is the only one I can say that about. And, until we've had more time and people testing these lift kits for themselves, I'll have to go with past experiences.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Teraflex on my TJ rode better than stock but that was more due to the shocks than the lift components. Also, better than stock may be subjective to the person because I liked the softer feel of the aftermarket shocks than the break your back hardness of the gas charged ones that came on my TJ.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Milkman
My Teraflex on my TJ rode better than stock but that was more due to the shocks than the lift components. Also, better than stock may be subjective to the person because I liked the softer feel of the aftermarket shocks than the break your back hardness of the gas charged ones that came on my TJ.
Exactly, a better than stock ride or any ride for that matter is completely subjective. For me, I prefer a firmer ride over a softer one and from my experience (I've run a bunch of shocks), monotube gas charged shocks handle better on the road and eat up bumps better on the rocks. But again, that's just me
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my TJ I wen't through several sets of springs 2 of which where Teraflex. Both road nice, but the second set was better than the first. I know that they use a higher spring rate on there front TJ springs, but I'm not sure about the rear.

I've driven a JK stock and with the skyjacker 2.5" coils with 33's. The lifted JK's ride was definetly firmer than stock but remained comfortable (I like a bit firmer ride than stock also). Also, I know with some lift manufactures, the taller the spring the softer the ride becomes, becuase they keep the same spring rate even with the increase in spring height , but I'm not sure if either the ones you've mentioned have there springs made like that...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info... that is helpfull. I guess I should quatifiy what I meant about ride quality. The modified (lifted) Jeep I drove felt very mushy. I had little confidence keeping in my lane, especially when driving around curves even at relatively slow speeds. The stock TJ was considerably stiffer and did not lean or compress in the turns. In the lifted Jeep it felt like driving a waterbed. I would like to lift and run between 33-35" tires. My last vehicle was a Nissan Titan and had 285/R70/17 and that seems to be a pretty good size tire.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I hear ya and that's why I love the Full Traction lift I have with M-Force shocks. Compared to all the other lifts I've run over the years, the Full Traction setup I have now offers the most firm yet comfortable ride.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality With a Lift