Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ridge grappler on ice and snow?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm running a set of 37" Ridge Grapplers and unfortunately we haven't had snow or ice here yet, but it is only a matter of time, and I will make sure to do some extensive driving in it. These tires aren't snowflake rated like the duratracs, but they aren't really marketed as being a designated winter tire.

That being said, they do have a nice amount of siping, and they do good in the rain, and I have no doubt they will do better than a designated mud tire in snow and ice. Will definitely update this when I have some feedback.

I can say with confidence that these are definitely the best all around tires I have ever used. Nitto knocked this one out of the park.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We havent had any snow yet so i will be interested to see what people have to say that have. I am curious to see how my jeep will handle i hope it will be fine
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Still no snow or ice yet, but it will only be a matter of time. I'm anxious to see how they do as well.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:29 AM
Bjb
JK Newbie

I was able to use mine in some light snow (2-3"). It was the really wet almost slushy kind. They handled really well with little to no slippage. I purposefully tried to make them slide too, and had difficulty getting them to break loose. I was in 2wd the entire time.

We are supposed to get 2-6"in the next 24 hours, so I might get some more time to test them out.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you sir[QUOTE=Bjb;4263973]I was able to use mine in some light snow (2
Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Bjb
JK Newbie

We got some more snow over the weekend. Unfortunately the plows came through before I got a chance to get out. I still managed to find some areas with ~3" of snow. This time it was the dry stuff that doesn't pack very well. Acceleration and braking is superb. I really can't ask for more from a tire in this area. In 4wd there is always enough bite to get up to speed quickly, and even under hard braking the tires seem to find plenty of grip to stop fast. Lateral grip was not quite as good and there was some drifting, but it was predictable and not difficult to maintain control of the vehicle. Lateral grip was also good enough to make a 90* turn into traffic without issue. I can't imagine anyone comfortable driving in snow taking issue with these tires. I am sure there are some AT tires that are probably better, but the Ridge Grapplers are pretty darn good.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Most ATs are going to be good when they are new in snow and ice because of the siping in the tread blocks. The problem with most ATs is that the siping is only through 1/4 of the tread block, so after you drive them for a year and the tire wears down, no more siping and no more winter grip. The basically become MTs. There are exceptions, for example the KO2 has full depth siping and they advertise that as a pseudo-dedicated snow tire. Being that I live in CLE and get a fair amount of snow and ice i was looking for a way to re-sipe the tires by hand and found the Ideal Tire Groover (google it) and videos on YouTube on how to do it. I re-grove and re-sipe my tires each winter with 3mm grooves and sipes and it's like having a dedicated set of snow tires each winter. The sipes and grooves wear down over time and I do it again next winter. I highly recommend it if you live in a place with lots of snow and ice.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Having been and crashed in the UP's winter ice and snow, I'd vote for nothing less than Mountain Snowflake rated tires.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive made it through a few of our winters with bfg mud terrains on jeeps and trucks and it want fun. Took a ride yesterday to the gun shop with my jk and its stock mud terrains and it reminded me how little fun it really is. The last tj I had had bfg ats on it and even it wasn't real good on snow and ice covered roads. Could be that they were 9 years old and were getting hard. Plenty of tread though as they only have about 30k on them and have LOTS of thread on them. I guess I know that NO tire on one of these short jeeps is going to make them run down the road like my Silverado. Sure would be nice to see a side by side comparison of these two tires by a reputable tester. I know one thing. The mud terrains have to go. They are about dangerous.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd think the Ridge Grapplers would work well. I'm on 40" Trail Grapplers in MI and after the big snow this week I was pretty shocked at how awesome they did in the snow. I expected the opposite. My stretched two door drove better and had more traction than my full size Chevy truck on nearly new all season tires.

Quick Reply: ridge grappler on ice and snow?