Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripp Supercharger Finished

Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattythreeputt
I need to find a stop watch. I will try and get a time tomorrow. I will also get one in my friends stock Rubi for comparison. You guys are killing my chances of trying to improve my gas mileage. Although, I don't mind.
If you or a friend has a 3g iphone, check out the dyno apps like Dynolicious. It'll spit out a horsepower curve, 0-60 time, etc.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Dynolicious looks like some fun. Will downoad to Wife's itouch. Did a stopwatch 0-60 this am. Keep in mind, only 1/2 way in to "learning" phase. 8-9 seconds. I will try another later shifting manually. As I reported earlier, the automatic is shifting a little irraticly. Also, I need to learn how to drive it hard while optimizing boost. I need some help in this dept. Also, I threw my first check engine light. It stayed on for about a minute then went away. Up to this point, this was the hardest I had driven it.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats cool. i want one of these superchargers... gotta wait a few years though. arent you supposed to drive it easy during the break in period? i am just curious because i would hate to see you mess somthing up doing 0-60 runs before the motor is ready...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Peer pressure my friend. I actually have been driving it easy, but the occasional devil on my shoulder....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

Looks good, keep us updated on the performance.

I dig the decal as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

How much boost are you running? What are you using for engine management?

I've done a lot of work on turbocharged cars (WRXs). It's hard enough managing an engine that came from the factory with forced induction. To take a vehicle that was naturally aspirated and then throw boost at it seems like you'd either need a complete reflash of the computer with custom code or a stand alone engine management solution such as a Hydra or Motec ($$$$$$$$$!)

I have a hard time believing that you can get good driveability and performance with a stock computer and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and/or an interceptor module (an electronic device that catches sensor values before the PCM gets them, adjusts them and sends them to the PCM to fool the PCM into choosing the correct fueling and timing).

But then again I have no experience with superchargers and they are probably a lot more linear and predictable than turbochargers so I could be full of crap

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

The kit comes with it's own computers that talk to the facotry ECU. Works real well. 10 lbs max boost. usually around 5-6.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

The kit comes with it's own computers that talk to the facotry ECU. Works real well. 10 lbs max boost. usually around 5-6.

The Sc and the subtle decal look good. 10# boost spike is a lot of pressure for a stock engine. At least you know the belt isn't slipping.....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc_D

superchargers are probably a lot more linear and predictable than turbochargers

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Our electronic work in conjunction with the ECU and the ECU is the tuning tool.

It Works seamlessly... there is no transitioning point or feel of the cross over - everything works in real time.

Since the boost curve is predictable its easy to maintain tuning parameters 100% of the time - if the tune should fall off, we have a 15% swing -/+ pre-programmed into the box for correction. Additionally every so often the Black Box and the stock ECU will syncro-start and calibrate themselves to make sure we are zeroed.

RIPPTECH
Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mapping is safe up to 15psi - its extremely conservative above 10psi so it will fall on its face - we've seen 10psi max on full throttle pass's - But its a fresh build and the timing maps haven't settled in yet - as he puts miles on it they will back off a bit and max our at 8/9... Plus its an Autometer gauge (they could be off a bit +/-)

The blower is a mathematical equation of X(Volumetric Efficiency) over Y (RPM) = PSI it will only spool so much boost - Centrifugal superchargers build boost on air velocity as well as RPM, so by ramping it up quick i could spool 1 or 2psi more - which we know won't hurt the engine and your tuned for, just in case.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Ripp Supercharger Finished