Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer

Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

And user posts like these are exactly why I value the information I get on this forum than any of the other Jeep forums on the net. My experience has been exactly like PsychoCupcake's.

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Completely agree with the above about avoiding the hype train. I'll also mention that I had an AEV lift with Bilstein shocks prior to the MC lift and the difference is night and day. The ride with the MC lift is much more forgiving and comfortable both on and off road. I really try to give everything a fair assessment and not become a MC fan girl. I'm sure their are people that might say the ride is too soft and prefer something firmer.

But I have come across the same thing. I won't mention the manufacturer but I asked a community a couple days ago to explain to me why a certain lift was superior. Most of the answers I got were "if you see it in person, you will know". Okay that's not a real answer. Tell me about durability, control arm construction, flex of the control arm joints, ride of the shocks and springs, durability of the coatings (especially important when you live in a salty environment), etc. No one could or would answer these things. They just said it's "the best". Not very helpful in my opinion.
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
IF you simply look at both of their websites I think you would clearly choose the MC kit. The MC site gives you a lot of detailed information and explains the benefits of its parts. The only real differences between the kits is that RK gives you correction wedges (which I think are stupid) and the metal cloak offers adjustable bump stops so you can dial in you suspension rather then just installing what is in the box. MC also has lower shock brackets to move the lower mount out a bit for more shock clearance.

It should be known that MC joint are always in bind when you are articulating the suspension and RK joints offer bind free articulation, however with a 2.5" lift and typically no longer then 11" of travel on the shocks either kit will "flex" the same if the bump stops and shocks are set up the same. I run 4 different joint on my rig including MC joints and don't have any issues with the joints and I have massive amounts of articulation for a JK. By design of the MC joints you will have a ride that has more cushion and less vibration that is transferred from the axles to the frame.

Both companies have great customer service but I would give the edge to MC as I have seen some running around with RK with several phone calls and a few times I have seen them start with blaming the customer for the fault. When I broke the first design of the MC joint they not only replaced it (I did not ask for a replacement they offered it) but sent me 6 brand new forged ends to replace the 6 I had.

In the end you could simply do a 2" budget boost with some longer travel shocks or run shock extenders for what you are going to do with your jeep. Neither kit you list is going to make your jeep more capable on road or off vs a simple inexpensive budget boost.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that is some great write ups guys. Thank you for taking the time to explain that for me. It makes a lot of sense and I will have to really sit down and think about things before I order parts.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some really great information has been posted already.
you need to decide whether you want rubber bushings or solid bushings, then look at options/vendors who offer solid or rubber, which ever you want.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience with RK, but I have been upgrading my lift with Metalcloak parts a little at a time. I am happy with everything that I have purchased so far. I just got my set of front lowers today and I am looking forward to getting them installed.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the new RK coils. They're much more forgiving on bumpy/crappy DC roads than my old Teraflex coils. I run Metalcloak and Synergy joints in my control arms...overall it rides like a truck. Especially paired with Rancho 9000's and proper geometry, I can cruise down the highway at 80 mph with 1 finger on the wheel. Just remember that it has solid axles, and will never ride as soft as a Cadillac.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Going to some local club outings and tring to get a ride in rigs with RK and MC setups would be your best bet. I have a RK 2.5 X-factor and 35s on a 2010 Rubicon 2 door, and love it. Have had it a year, zero problems and rides and handles better than it did stock. I haven't had a chance to do anything serious off road with it, but other than possibly shorter bump stops, I have never felt the suspension could limit my jeep or its abilities. At the end of the day, both companies have a pretty good rep and have been doing this for years, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by axendo79
Going to some local club outings and tring to get a ride in rigs with RK and MC setups would be your best bet. I have a RK 2.5 X-factor and 35s on a 2010 Rubicon 2 door, and love it. Have had it a year, zero problems and rides and handles better than it did stock. I haven't had a chance to do anything serious off road with it, but other than possibly shorter bump stops, I have never felt the suspension could limit my jeep or its abilities. At the end of the day, both companies have a pretty good rep and have been doing this for years, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I'd like to take you up on this. I don't have the X factor but I'm certainly not thrilled by the ride.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the jks kits
Old 01-31-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I have ridden in a full blown RK equipped JKU on 38's with teraflex speed bumps and the ride was terrible. "god damn this thing is rough" I think was my comment to the driver. And yes it was correctly set up. Maybe it was due to the fact I was in the back seat. I guess ride is subjective.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

I read every comment and I'd like to just offer some feedback. Full disclosure here before I say anything. I consider the guys at RK friends as well as the guys over at Synergy. I wheel with them and talk to them on a daily basis. I don't deal in Metal Cloak, but that is only due to my business model and their dealer model. I have ridden in and driven Metal Cloak suspended Jeeps and I agree that they make a great product.

If you take two brand new systems, one from MC and one from RK, pair it with the same shocks, the same wheels and tires with same PSI in them and blindfold the drivers before you put them in the vehicles I really think you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between the two. They BOTH make great suspension systems that are more similar than they are different.

RK has constantly evolved their product with coil rate changes and joint updates/upgrades over the years. The Pro Krawler joints allow some of the highest misalignment specs of any joint on the market and they are still small enough to not be limited by the mounting widths in the JK's brackets. They are using what they call a Pro Flex joint at the frame now instead of the older bushing style. When the JK came out there were only a couple of ways to do things...as time has gone on new developments have come to our industry and there are new ideas. Metal Cloak kick started that idea and then others have taken their own swing at it including RK and Synergy.

Here are some visual aids to show what each of these guys are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukGa_GotDeg Here's Synergy's Dual Durometer Joint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2Ap6hvPDg Metal Cloak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBye_VSL7aQ I recommend and sell a lot of the RK product. I can also tell you that if there are problems RK will take care of it. They go about things a little differently than most, but you can learn a whole lot by slowing down the warranty process and helping the customer understand the how and why of the failure. Blindly throwing replacement parts doesn't help anyone and if the larger picture isn't examined the guy will likely be back in a few months angry that the product "failed" again. Parts don't generally just fail...there is almost always something else that is helping the component deteriorate. YES...there are times when something just sucks and is a POS. But those situations can only be fixed if a MFG is allowed the opportunity to understand what is going on. Instead of getting angry about them asking for pictures understand that they are trying to help you instead of throw parts at you so you go away.

If you're currently driving an RK suspended Jeep and you feel that the ride is suffering, then reach out to someone that does this for a living or has experience setting up vehicles. I'll be more than happy to help you troubleshoot and try to get you on the right path. Things like shock choice, air pressure in the tires, wheel and tire size, ect all play into the ride quality of ANY aftermarket suspension in ANY vehicle. You have to play with air pressure in an HD truck just like you have to play with air pressure on a two door JK with no armor or bumpers on it.

I hope this helps. My answer to the original question would be find a good dealer/installer in your area or online that you like and get their opinion. Ride in some Jeeps in your area...they are EVERYWHERE these days, so you should be able to find someone through the forum, Facebook groups, or Instagram pretty easily. We all have our own opinion of what the perfect setup or ride is, so you owe it to yourself to get out there and do some field testing to form your own opinion on the matter. It is a lot of money to spend, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Marcus

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X-Factor or Metal Cloak Game Changer