Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rk lift questions regarding the new joints and speings.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rk lift questions regarding the new joints and speings.

I have a 2013 Jku rubicon that is heavy with 35s and buch wacker flares. I have been running the flex kit 2.5 for a few years which includes front lower arms, front track bar, front brake lines and rear track bar bracket. I recently added the rest of the arms, artec front brace with high bracket (wrong one for my set up). I had a lot of bump stear and torque stear. I moved the front track bar down to the lower hole where my fox ATS stabalizer was located. When doing so I noticed that the ATS mounting bolt was hard against the front track bar. So I still need to mount my fox ATS and I was going to grind down the part of the bolt that was wedged against the front track bar joint. But then I was woundering if it is worth upgrading my old joints to the new joints. Does anyone know if the track bar bracket side joint is smaller? Are the new joints worth upgrading on my front lowers and front track bar regardless. Then I was thinking about upgrading the springs to the new triple rates. Anyone change springs and notice any differance? If I was to upgrade my springs would you guys recommened I go from 2.5 to 3.5. I am thinking with 3.5 and bushwakers the wheel well would look a bit empty. I don't want to replace stock drive shafts now if that is nessacary. I have a synergy drag flip steering to install. I was going to put it in the stock location with current location. Let me clarify my ramble into the questions.

1. Are the new rk joints worth upgrading?
2. Are the new triple rate springs worth upgrading? Anyone change sorings and notice differwnce? If so what was differance?
3. If I do upgrade springs should I stick with 2.5?or goto 3.5?
4. What performance differance would I see with 3.5. I would imagine the shock is the limiting factor in flex. I have fox 2.0 shocks that I think are good for that tall of a spring.
5. Would I have drive shaft problems with 3.5.
6. Would I be able to install my synergy flip link in flip position.

I know this is a lot of questions but I don't want to thow money away unless it is of benefit in performance. Ie provide better rid, flex, articulation. Thanks. In advance Doug.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother upgrading joints unless there is something wrong with the current joints. Even then, I'd look elsewhere for joints.

Your track bar and drag link should be close to parallel at ride height. The further off, the more steering issues you'll have. The more angle on them, the worse the steering (hence going to high steer). You can't move the track bar up and not flip the drag link. You're creating an issue right there. You don't want to run a flip unless your around 3.5" of lift or more. If you have steering issues now, there is something wrong with your setup.

3.5" springs give you nothing but more ride height. If you have stock shafts, yes, they will wear faster.

Your call on coils. Again, unless you don't like them, why change them out? If it's a ride quality issue, it is more likely the pairing of the springs and shocks.

Save your money and fix whatever issues you have.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
I have a 2013 Jku rubicon that is heavy with 35s and buch wacker flares. I have been running the flex kit 2.5 for a few years which includes front lower arms, front track bar, front brake lines and rear track bar bracket. I recently added the rest of the arms, artec front brace with high bracket (wrong one for my set up). I had a lot of bump stear and torque stear. I moved the front track bar down to the lower hole where my fox ATS stabalizer was located. When doing so I noticed that the ATS mounting bolt was hard against the front track bar. So I still need to mount my fox ATS and I was going to grind down the part of the bolt that was wedged against the front track bar joint. But then I was woundering if it is worth upgrading my old joints to the new joints. Does anyone know if the track bar bracket side joint is smaller? Are the new joints worth upgrading on my front lowers and front track bar regardless. Then I was thinking about upgrading the springs to the new triple rates. Anyone change springs and notice any differance? If I was to upgrade my springs would you guys recommened I go from 2.5 to 3.5. I am thinking with 3.5 and bushwakers the wheel well would look a bit empty. I don't want to replace stock drive shafts now if that is nessacary. I have a synergy drag flip steering to install. I was going to put it in the stock location with current location. Let me clarify my ramble into the questions.

1. Are the new rk joints worth upgrading?
2. Are the new triple rate springs worth upgrading? Anyone change sorings and notice differwnce? If so what was differance?
3. If I do upgrade springs should I stick with 2.5?or goto 3.5?
4. What performance differance would I see with 3.5. I would imagine the shock is the limiting factor in flex. I have fox 2.0 shocks that I think are good for that tall of a spring.
5. Would I have drive shaft problems with 3.5.
6. Would I be able to install my synergy flip link in flip position.

I know this is a lot of questions but I don't want to thow money away unless it is of benefit in performance. Ie provide better rid, flex, articulation. Thanks. In advance Doug.

What joints are you looking at upgrading? The track bar bar joints or the control arm joints? We weren't clear on which or if you mean all of them. The new triple rate coils are not a huge difference in the front of your rig compared to the progressive rate coils you have now. The rear on the other hand going from the linear coils you have now to the new triple rate coils would be a significant difference. The height of the coils as Invest2m4 stated are only going to change the ride height of the rig. No real performance difference between the 2.5" and 3.5" heights other then ground clearance. You should check your shocks collapsed and extended lengths compared to what we recommend on our website for the 3.5" mid arm kits. This will tell you how compatible the shocks are with a higher lift height. The shafts will be at more of an angle and can definitely wear faster at a steeper angle. You can install a flip kit on either the 2.5" or 3.5" kits, you will want a minimum of 3" of bump stop though to stop any contact with the frame. Also you will need mover the track bar higher on the axle like you had it originally.

RK
Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Decided to just get the rear springs. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Rk lift questions regarding the new joints and speings.