Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK rear linear springs (old style) VS new triple rates results

Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running the 3.5" max travel (with Bilstiens) on my rig for 2+ years now. Always happy with the ride but the rear bottoms out too easily on the trail when loaded down with camping gear and family.

Recently, I had to replace the bushings in the rear LCAs (RK covered that) so while they were out I decided to replace the knuckles with the newer style, greasable units, rotate the spring perches and replace the older linear springs with the new triple rates. Unfortunately, the spring swap was a mistake.

With the older springs, loaded down I had almost 2" of gap between my bumpstop/perch and it would bottom out on the trail as expected. With the newer triple rates, I had about an 1" gap and it bottomed out just pulling out of the driveway. And this is after rotating the perches which I never did on the older ones and which should have improved my situation in and of itself.

I personally could not notice any ride difference between the 2 springs. It's always been good but that's the trade off for load support I suppose.
The new springs are physically 2" longer but it sits about 1" lower.

When ordering the parts, RK could not say if swapping would be better or worse for my goal, figured I'd try anyway. Now we know.

So if you have the older linears, I would not swap them for the newer ones. And if you still decide to, you can find mine on CL soon.

Anyone reading this that has found a good spring/shock combo for loads while keeping a good ride; I'm all ears.

Last edited by fredrok; 09-02-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

OME HD has a good rep.

Quick Reply: RK rear linear springs (old style) VS new triple rates results