Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Triple Rate/RS9000XL Woes

Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about their newest kits but their older coils were not progressive for the rear. They were linear. And the fronts were more "dual rate" than progressive. The tops had three or four closely wrapped coild before they start to space out a bit. Those wraps tend to compress all the way down when supporting heavy bumpers and winches which leave you with close to the stated height that the lift was supposed to give you.

So if your rear coils are being called progressive, they are not the older design........
Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

from another sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
so the rears are not triple rate? any idea what stock #/inch rate is? thanks.

The rears are, but there are not 3 active transitions like the front since the coil is so short.

RK
Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Not sure about their newest kits but their older coils were not progressive for the rear. They were linear. And the fronts were more "dual rate" than progressive. The tops had three or four closely wrapped coild before they start to space out a bit. Those wraps tend to compress all the way down when supporting heavy bumpers and winches which leave you with close to the stated height that the lift was supposed to give you. So if your rear coils are being called progressive, they are not the older design........
Old coils were progressive front and linear rear. New coils are triple rate front and back.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Old coils were progressive front and linear rear.

That's what I said...

My point was if he has progressive rears in his new kit, they are NOT the old coils since they were linear.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't the first time I've heard this. Seems like a few people are getting the old linear rears with the new triple rate fronts. Someone else on the forum mentioned that Rock Krawler is trying to get rid of their old stock of linear coils before sending out the triple rate rears. Not sure if that's true, but that would be a shame if so. Also, someone mentioned that the RK coils run tall. From my experience, that is incorrect. The RK 3.5 kit I had was substantially smaller than the Metal Cloak 3.5 I replaced it will.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
That's what I said... My point was if he has progressive rears in his new kit, they are NOT the old coils since they were linear.
Sorry it seemed as if you were a little unsure in your post. Guess I read it wrong. Sorry again.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by B 1000
This isn't the first time I've heard this. Seems like a few people are getting the old linear rears with the new triple rate fronts. Someone else on the forum mentioned that Rock Krawler is trying to get rid of their old stock of linear coils before sending out the triple rate rears. Not sure if that's true, but that would be a shame if so. Also, someone mentioned that the RK coils run tall. From my experience, that is incorrect. The RK 3.5 kit I had was substantially smaller than the Metal Cloak 3.5 I replaced it will.
Different companies give different heights. For most people because they are running a lite rig, RK coils give more than the advertise lift height. MC does also on a lite rig. MC coils are longer than most coils of their same lift (3.5" MC vs 3.5" RK-the MC free length is longer or taller). But when people talk bout a spring running taller they are referring to the ride height or how much lift they got. Not the free length of the coil.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Sorry it seemed as if you were a little unsure in your post. Guess I read it wrong. Sorry again.
No worries. But this thread shows how confusing it is when manufacturers change their products. They need to do a better job of identifying their stuff like with different product codes! RK is awful when it comes to changes. I have all the "greaseless joints" which were new when I bought them but their site still had the previous joints listed. Then, a few months later they come out with new greasble ones. And the coils have changed a bunch of times too! And if it is about clearing old inventory.....discount that stuff as it is obviosuly not as good as your latest designs! LOL!!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Called up 4wheelparts and they took care of it.

Called up Northridge and they helped me through the issues. Quoth RockKrawler:

They will become much more noticeable installed instead of layout on the ground with no weight on them. Our transitions between rates are not ubrupt, they are smooth and functional. [Customers] will notice a few dead coils once installed, but not until then.

So there you have it. But in sum, I'm not entirely sure the 2.5 was a good idea. I should've done some more research, but I was quick on the order finger. The 2.5 is more like 3.75-4" on a 2 door, and that's a bit much for my tastes. On one hand, I sort of wish that the labeling was more direct, as I'm sure I'm not the first person to assume a 2.5 kit meant 2.5 inches (or close thereto). On the other hand, a brief research would have given me that answer. I went back and forth as to whether I should just put the 2.5 springs in, but I'd rather eat a return shipping cost now than pay for the necessary parts to complete a 3+ inch lift.

Caveat emptor! I'm going to return (or sell for $220 to a socal jeeper) my 2.5 springs. The 1.5s are in the mail for me. The 1.5 kit seems like it will be perfect.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanza
Called up 4wheelparts and they took care of it.

Called up Northridge and they helped me through the issues. Quoth RockKrawler:

They will become much more noticeable installed instead of layout on the ground with no weight on them. Our transitions between rates are not ubrupt, they are smooth and functional. [Customers] will notice a few dead coils once installed, but not until then.

So there you have it. But in sum, I'm not entirely sure the 2.5 was a good idea. I should've done some more research, but I was quick on the order finger. The 2.5 is more like 3.75-4" on a 2 door, and that's a bit much for my tastes. On one hand, I sort of wish that the labeling was more direct, as I'm sure I'm not the first person to assume a 2.5 kit meant 2.5 inches (or close thereto). On the other hand, a brief research would have given me that answer. I went back and forth as to whether I should just put the 2.5 springs in, but I'd rather eat a return shipping cost now than pay for the necessary parts to complete a 3+ inch lift.

Caveat emptor! I'm going to return (or sell for $220 to a socal jeeper) my 2.5 springs. The 1.5s are in the mail for me. The 1.5 kit seems like it will be perfect.
I have the 1.5" triple rate coils and with stock rear bumper I am just over 1.5" on the rear and with stock front bumper and VR10000S and rockhard4x4 skid plate I am at just a hair over 2" on the front. I wish the rear was a tad more. they ride awesome on and off road.

Quick Reply: RK Triple Rate/RS9000XL Woes