Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip with the JKU and questions...

Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road trip with the JKU and questions...

Hey all,

So we're taking a trip in December from Miami to North Carolina. I'm debating on folding one of the sides of the seat down for my older kid to stretch out should she need to but we'll also have Christmas presents and stuff in the back of the JKU so that means space is at a premium. I have a hitch basket which I was going to toss some luggage on and then was debating borrowing a buddy's hard top with a Rhino Rack on it.

Saw the defender rack and it's cheap enough I'd purchase it but looks like 150lb is the max weight. I'm sure I've got less than that in luggage but I do have the wife and two daughters so that can get crazy with luggage.

Anyway, looking for ideas/thoughts as to what folks do/did in this situation.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what you mean by folding a seat down to stretch out, but with laws in each state being different any person not seated in the seat with the seat belt fastened my be in for a law break or if in an accident could get hurt. my 2 Cents.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by realjeep
Not sure what you mean by folding a seat down to stretch out, but with laws in each state being different any person not seated in the seat with the seat belt fastened my be in for a law break or if in an accident could get hurt. my 2 Cents.
Thanks. And yes I am aware of the laws throughout the states we will be traveling...

So that we don't lose sight of my question, how about I rephrase it and ask, "What are some people doing with luggage in a JKU when the rear is unusable".
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have one of the tailgater like things that goes in the hitch and put my trunk/luggage on the back when going somewhere with some straps it works well enough.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
Saw the defender rack and it's cheap enough I'd purchase it but looks like 150lb is the max weight. I'm sure I've got less than that in luggage but I do have the wife and two daughters so that can get crazy with luggage.

Anyway, looking for ideas/thoughts as to what folks do/did in this situation.
I fly a lot with a full large suitcase. When I check it, they weight it. It seldom gets over 42 lbs. If you can fit three large suitcases in the defender rack, you should have no problems. If you add a hitch rack, you should end up with a lot of room.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Travel

I do alot of travel with my two door. On long roadtrips I do my best to organize this way. Items you may need to access keep handy inside the vehicle and don't stack stuff on top of stuff. It will not fail, the very item you need will somehow be on the bottom of the pile!! Everything else get it out of the cab when you can. It really helps to keep the inside free of "crap" when you are stuck driving on the road for long periods of time. I bought a full roof rack for this purpose and I know that is slightly different for you since you don't have one. I would say that with your rear cargo area and a hitch rack you will probably be doing pretty good. If you have more trips planned like this in the future or perhaps some extended family camping trips maybe now is a good time to look into purchasing a roof rack of your own. Many options out there of course. Bottom line is trying to come up with a solution that keeps the inside free of clutter.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

Thanks all for the tips. We've only really done a trip to my parents where presents fill the back of the jeep and the hitch rack full of luggage but it was a short trip...I think I'll put my foot down and say pack light although we will see how I fare during that since I've got the wife and two girls. It's "I need 42 pairs of shoes, 10 outfits/day, etc"!

But appreciate it all!

Quick Reply: Road trip with the JKU and questions...