Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!

Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
The body mounts suck, that's a given but I'm surprised the VKS is flexing. There are rigs running frame bolt-ons like White Knuckle and LOD and this type of crap isn't happening. There are a few that have actually bolted on the EVO's that are supposed to be welded on and those haven't flexed from what I know of.... .
I rested the weight of my entire 2-door on my left side VKS slider. Didn't move, and just needed a sandpaper/rattlecan touch up a few days later.

The sliders are tough as nails, don't be discouraged. I'd buy them again, and just to reiterate, I'd pair them with a set of rocker protection again too...just incase the body flexes enough to contact the slider.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I really don't think the sliders are to blame here.

The body mounts are rubber, and therefore the body will have some play. If your sliders are aggressively angled towards the body, it's probably gonna touch. I'm pretty sure there was another thread on this somewhere, and it's why I welded my sliders ~0.5" lower than I wanted to.

The tubing on the sliders, ESPECIALLY these VKS ones, is not going to bend enough to make contact with the body, and magically bend back. The frame mounts are gusseted to the tubing, and there's about an inch worth of distance between the body and the slider. $200 in rocker armor and you'll never have to worry about any of this...

Edit: took another look...my VKS frame mounts have way more gussets.

You're missing my point man. Both Psycho and I, as well as the OP, are currently running frame mounted VKS.....

The VKS are pitched as "bolt-on" sliders. LOD and White Knuckle Offroad are also "bolt-on" sliders but don't "flex" under load.....

You can probably also throw in Poison Spyder "bolt-on" frame-mounted sliders that also don't flex. Poison Spyder's boat-side sliders are the ones to actually stay away from....

Last edited by DJ1; 03-23-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
You're missing my point man. Both Psycho and I, as well as the OP, are currently running frame mounted VKS..... The VKS are pitched as "bolt-on" sliders. LOD and White Knuckle Offroad are also "bolt-on" sliders but don't "flex" under load..... You can probably also throw in Poison Spyder "bolt-on" frame-mounted sliders that also don't flex. Poison Spyder's boat-side sliders are the ones to actually stay away from.... .
Yeah understood, and I get how it's frustrating. However, having someone mig weld them would leave you with a clear head....and add a few more gussets. I'll post some pics in the morning, but my frame mounts have at least 3 more gussets.

I think the VKS sliders are still a steal for what they are, and for how much you can get them shipped to your door for. Having someone local to you weld them on shouldn't run you more then $100 to $150...then again I simply consider bold on products as a "ready for light trails, not for extreme trails" kind of deal. That's why I had my Nemesis front shock brackets, rear track bar bracket, and sliders all welded on in addition to bolting on. Any skilled welder near you can burn on whatever you need for not too much $$.

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-23-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Yeah understood, and I get how it's frustrating. However, having someone mig weld them would leave you with a clear head....and add a few more gussets. I'll post some pics in the morning, but my frame mounts have at least 3 more gussets.

I think the VKS sliders are still a steal for what they are, and for how much you can get them shipped to your door for. Having someone local to you weld them on shouldn't run you more then $100 to $150...then again I simply consider bold on products as a "ready for light trails, not for extreme trails" kind of deal. That's why I had my Nemesis front shock brackets, rear track bar bracket, and sliders all welded on in addition to bolting on. Any skilled welder near you can burn on whatever you need for not too much $$.

Our VKS pre-runners have 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. LOD has 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. Poison Spyder has 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. EVO has 3 frame legs and are weld-on.

If you're running the same VKS bolt-on sliders we're running, not sure how you're getting 3 legs / more gusset support for a 2 door setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.31.48 PM.png
Views:	400
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	668967

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.32.56 PM.png
Views:	193
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	668968

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.39.55 PM.png
Views:	170
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	668970

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 11.32.27 PM.png
Views:	229
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	668969

I don't buy into the whole bolt-on thing is for light trail use only. Show me an instance where frame mounted bolt-on LOD, WKO, and Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers flexed into the tub.

Adding to that, your wheels are bolted on. Your engine is bolted on. Your transfer case is bolted on. Your drive shafts are bolted on. Your axle shafts are bolted on. Your steering wheel is bolted on. Your tub is bolted on. Your bumpers are bolted on.

The VKS has nice welds and I can appreciate they're made in the US, but they clearly are not on par with the others in terms of structural support.

The LOD's actually come out cheaper since you still have to powder coat the VKS.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-23-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to reiterate, this wasn't just about the sliders being too close to the tub or the body mounts flexing. Go back and look at the picture I posted. The mount plates bent like potato chips. The one closer to the hit was more bent. The one further away is tweaked too, but it's less visually noticeable. This wasn't a "flex", this was permanent deformation of the metal.

I think VKS makes a good looking product. The welds are nothing short of works of art. I'm running his front bumper too. Needless to say I was a fan of what he was putting on the market. All I'm saying is that there is something lacking in the strength of the legs. Other manufacturers seem to be putting nearly identical products on the market and I've never heard complaints about this.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not use the what seemed short bolts VKS provided. Instead longer grade 8 bolts. I was afraid there was minimal thread engagement and could rip from the frame like stated here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-372155700.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	668981  

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-24-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I did not use the what seemed short bolts VKS provided. Instead longer grade 8 bolts. I was afraid their was minimal thread engagement and could rip from the frame like stated here.
Ya interestingly enough it wasn't the threads on the bolt that gave, it was the threads in the frame. But regardless, when I rebuild the legs, I won't use those bolts. I have enough access to the inside of the frame that I'll put nuts on the back instead of depending on threads in the frame.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Ya interestingly enough it wasn't the threads on the bolt that gave, it was the threads in the frame. But regardless, when I rebuild the legs, I won't use those bolts. I have enough access to the inside of the frame that I'll put nuts on the back instead of depending on threads in the frame.
Thats what i mean, dont know for sure but it looked like the threads would barely pass through the frame or maybe by a thread or two.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skulldaddy
I'm 90% sure I'm going with PSC Rocker Knockers, body mounted. Can anyone give me some evidence that I should or not?
All I can do is support your original consideration.
I have no experience with any other.
I have had my Jeep layed over on it's side (rail and rock stopped the slow flop), nothing touching but rock rail to solid rock(and 2 drivers side tires), and creeping forward dragging it along.
It destroyed the finish, but structurally it is intact and no body damage/wrinkles.
Someday I will paint it pretty again, but for now it serves as a memory of the event... yes, new underwear was required.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Thats what i mean, dont know for sure but it looked like the threads would barely pass through the frame or maybe by a thread or two.

Have you had a chance to really test the sliders, bang em' up hard, put it through it's paces yet?

Quick Reply: Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!