Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!

Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJ's pictures show why the VKS may hit the body when flexed compared to the others.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Our VKS pre-runners have 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. LOD has 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. Poison Spyder has 2 frame legs and are bolt-on. EVO has 3 frame legs and are weld-on.

If you're running the same VKS bolt-on sliders we're running, not sure how you're getting 3 legs / more gusset support for a 2 door setup.

Attachment 668967

Attachment 668968

Attachment 668970

Attachment 668969

I don't buy into the whole bolt-on thing is for light trail use only. Show me an instance where frame mounted bolt-on LOD, WKO, and Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers flexed into the tub.

Adding to that, your wheels are bolted on. Your engine is bolted on. Your transfer case is bolted on. Your drive shafts are bolted on. Your axle shafts are bolted on. Your steering wheel is bolted on. Your tub is bolted on. Your bumpers are bolted on.

The VKS has nice welds and I can appreciate they're made in the US, but they clearly are not on par with the others in terms of structural support.

The LOD's actually come out cheaper since you still have to powder coat the VKS.

Thank you for clearly illustrating the major differences here. Welding on the VKS bolt on sliders most likely would NOT solve the issue of the weak mounts. You shouldn't have to worry about sliders of that caliber sold for off-roading to be bending up into your rockers, unless these are sold as a STEP only, and not meant for off road. I'm not an extreme wheeler, and they've still come up and smashed my pinch seams, front and rear, both sides. There is a definite issue here that should be addressed, so this does not happen to others.

This post was not meant to expose it, but for me to discover some alternatives to that product, in which I could make way for long arms in the future. Fingers crossed that the PSC's are correctly engineered to spread the load and take some hits.

Last edited by skulldaddy; 03-24-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skulldaddy
Thank you for clearly illustrating the major differences here. Welding on the VKS bolt on sliders most likely would NOT solve the issue of the weak mounts. You shouldn't have to worry about a sliders of these caliber sold for off-roading to be bending up into your rockers, unless these are sold as a STEP only, and not meant for off road. I'm not an extreme wheeler, and they've still come up and smashed my pinch seams, front and rear, both sides. There is a definite issue here that should be addressed, so this does not happen to others.

The Poison Spyder setup looks to have a "v" type truss on the base of the leg flange. It looks to be a solid design. If they're still made in the US, I would consider them first.

If that's not the case and all mfg has since transferred to China after the TransAmerican buy-out, then I personally would get the LOD only because they are more readily available compared to WKO or Shrockworks.

Originally Posted by skulldaddy
This post was not meant to expose it, but for me to discover some alternatives to that product, in which I could make way for long arms in the future. Fingers crossed that the PSC's are correctly engineered to spread the load and take some hits.

Not a problem. This is how "true" and "fair" capitalistic markets are supposed to work. Without exposing it, then there's no reason for VKS to correct it. The ball is in Vick's hands at this point to do something or do nothing. It drives innovation and better products to the end customer unlike the monopoly of our current Healthcare System.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-24-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Have you had a chance to really test the sliders, bang em' up hard, put it through it's paces yet? .
If staring at the beautiful welds in the driveway counts yes.... yes i have LOL

Im pretty sure VKS states welding is the better option if wheeling hard. I dont see that helping the situation with flexing though. You guys dont thing side armor would help prevent any serious damage?

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-24-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
If staring at the beautiful welds in the driveway counts yes.... yes i have LOL

Im pretty sure VKS states welding is the better option if wheeling hard. I dont see that helping the situation with flexing though. You guys dont thing side armor would help prevent any serious damage?

haha yeah I hear you lol

Well that's why I got the EVO skins (primarily because they are aluminum and seemed to be the only one's available on the day I was buying) because the ACE sliders flexed (which I already sold off) and I already had tub damage to cover up....

Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
If staring at the beautiful welds in the driveway counts yes.... yes i have LOL Im pretty sure VKS states welding is the better option if wheeling hard. I dont see that helping the situation with flexing though. You guys dont thing side armor would help prevent any serious damage?
Yes I do think side armor helps, but again, what am I protecting my Jeep from? I thought armor was for protecting me against trees, rocks, etc. NOT for protecting me against other armor. Lol. I shouldn't have to add rocker armor to protect me from my sliders.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Yes I do think side armor helps, but again, what am I protecting my Jeep from? I thought armor was for protecting me against trees, rocks, etc. NOT for protecting me against other armor. Lol. I shouldn't have to add rocker armor to protect me from my sliders.

B-I-N-G-O!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

I'll go ahead and chime in on this whole situation. This is the explanation I sent to PsychoCupcake.

"The main issue that any company/manufacture will run into with rock sliders is they are only as strong is how/what they’re attached to. We are fully with you on the fact that damage should not come from rocker protection, I just want to be fully transparent on that fact. The issue that our customers have had in the past 99% of the time comes from attachment points along with body deflection. Whenever we have a customer that plans to “wheel” their Jeep we recommend welding the sliders into place. It adds a massive amount of contact area for the attachment points to adhere to. In our solidworks stress analysis testing the difference is strength is massive between weld/bolt when it comes to deflection. The Prerunner design along with our Standard set in the bolt-on configuration are targeted towards the Jeep owner that needs the removability and are willing to sacrifice strength in order to achieve that. Whenever we have a customer that plans on putting a set through their paces, a 100% of the time recommend our Standard sliders in the weld-on configuration. Also the Prerunner with its flatter angle that is there to provide the step area (the reason a lot of customers like them and purchase them) adds leverage to the entire unit in terms of strength. This is the reason we have the larger frame-plates to help disperse the load latterly across the mounting point/s.

I hope all of this makes sense and gives you some insight into how/why they’re built the way they are and the general audience they’re targeted at. With all of that being said we do have a large amount of people running and abusing the 2/4 door Prerunner’s since their release. Not all rock hits are created equal, sometimes the stars align and what seems like a light hit can amplify into something a lot harder.

I would recommend to you what I recommended to Tony… weld them. The strength difference is massive. Also if you’d like to add gussets or even better, a third leg, we will provide free of charge whatever you guys/girls need. Adding a third leg can be done but there isn’t any “bolt-on” areas to fit one on a two door, it’ll need to be welded into place."

In the images posted above we were made aware from the customer that the bolts had been pulled/stripped. This is what caused the frame plates to bend (pictured). So the attachment point/s failed, that is the main issue here.

The images Skulldaddy posted are not of his Jeep (we believe), they are of Psychocupcakes (she was the one that provided them to us that are posted in this thread). We believe there are two different issues, different for each of the Jeep owners. Skulldaddy's issues (we believe from his explanation, we haven't seen pictures, just his description) is purely body deflection which can happen with the JK's soft body mounts. The body made contact with the pinch seam on a hit taken while wheeling. Psychocupcakes on the other hand is from the bolts (attachment points) being pulled/sheared/stripped thus causing the frame plate to come loose and end up having the slider contact the body.

I hope this clears the air from our end.

Vick
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

Also if either of you are interested we will send each of you a set of our 2 Door Standard weld-on's with the 3rd leg option free of charge. Just send back your current sets and we'll cover the freight both ways.

Send me a email and I'll get it taken care of.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VKS
Also if either of you are interested we will send each of you a set of our 2 Door Standard weld-on's with the 3rd leg option free of charge. Just send back your current sets and we'll cover the freight both ways. Send me a email and I'll get it taken care of.
Boom! Btw your sliders have taken some nasty hits on my pos and all is good. I also bolted mine on btw

Quick Reply: Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!