Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You make nice products Vick. Nobody here is advertently looking to knock the company as I not only own a set of your 2-door PreRunners, but also have one of your front bumpers on my radar.

The thing is, the LOD's, WKO's, and ShrockWorks all have similar step angles to your PreRunners (so that can't be used as an excuse), are bolt-on, and have 2 frame legs for their 2-door sliders. The difference is in the last 5 years of reading thread after thread, I've never heard of any issues of those sliders failing in any shape or form.

The one thing those 3 mfg's all share in common is how they use gussetted square tube at the leg flange and they are holding up. Are their flanges thicker steel? I don't know as I haven't looked at that yet....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.31.15 AM.png
Views:	192
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	668998

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.29.27 AM.png
Views:	195
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	668999

....but what I can see so far, WKO uses 1/4" mounting plates at the legs...

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.43.42 AM.png
Views:	185
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	669000

...and I believe yours are 3/16"....

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.51.18 AM.png
Views:	191
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	669001

Last edited by DJ1; 03-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by VKS
Also if either of you are interested we will send each of you a set of our 2 Door Standard weld-on's with the 3rd leg option free of charge. Just send back your current sets and we'll cover the freight both ways.

Send me a email and I'll get it taken care of.

...at least you're a businessman who has no problem taking corrective action when/if needed to lessen the blow to current customers.

My issue is that I'd like to keep it bolt-on and I've already spent the $$ to have my existing set powdercoated...

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VKS
Also if either of you are interested we will send each of you a set of our 2 Door Standard weld-on's with the 3rd leg option free of charge. Just send back your current sets and we'll cover the freight both ways.

Send me a email and I'll get it taken care of.
Wow! Way more generous in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM
DJ1
Former Member

How about if we send them back and you slap on 1/4" flanges so we can still keep them bolt-on? I don't need a new set of sliders. I just need a more robust (thicker steel) mounting flange on both legs.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VKS
Also if either of you are interested we will send each of you a set of our 2 Door Standard weld-on's with the 3rd leg option free of charge. Just send back your current sets and we'll cover the freight both ways. Send me a email and I'll get it taken care of.
I very much appreciate this and will mull it over. As we discussed via email, I've got an aggressive schedule (next wheeling trip is 2 weeks from now... these aren't pleasure cruises either, its training days for upcoming charity events), so I had already started surgery on the sliders.

I wouldn't have chimed in on the thread if we hadn't already talked. And like some of the other folks have mentioned, it was more a question of whether the mounting mechanism was inherently weaker because it was round tube vs square or 3/16" vs 1/4".

In the meantime, I snapped a pic of the leg that was further from the hit. It's a slightly different issues, as you can see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1728282961.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	669002  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
How about if we send them back and you slap on 1/4" flanges so we can still keep them bolt-on? I don't need a new set of sliders. I just need a more robust (thicker steel) mounting flange on both legs. .
^this
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Better photo. I promise I was holding the square straight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2501379439.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	669003  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
You make nice products Vick. Nobody here is advertently looking to knock the company as I not only own a set of your 2-door PreRunners, but also have one of your front bumpers on my radar.

The thing is, the LOD's, WKO's, and ShrockWorks all have similar step angles to your PreRunners (so that can't be used as an excuse), are bolt-on, and have 2 frame legs for their 2-door sliders. The difference is in the last 5 years of reading thread after thread, I've never heard of any issues of those sliders failing in any shape or form.

The one thing those 3 mfg's all share in common is how they use gussetted square tube at the leg flange and they are holding up. Are their flanges thicker steel? I don't know as I haven't looked at that yet....

Attachment 668998

Attachment 668999

....but what I can see so far, WKO uses 1/4" mounting plates at the legs...

Attachment 669000

...and I believe yours are 3/16"....

Attachment 669001

You are correct, we use .188" plate steel. The .062" thickness would not cure this issues. The strength difference in the orientation we're running them at is extremely minimal. 1020 DOM tubing that we use on our leg material also isnt the issue, 1020 DOM has a 87,000 psi tensil strength and square tube is from 45,000 to 58,000.

The issues in the pictures above is the attachment point/s failing. Not a material failing.

Originally Posted by DJ1
...at least you're a businessman who has no problem taking corrective action when/if needed to lessen the blow to current customers.

My issue is that I'd like to keep it bolt-on and I've already spent the $$ to have my existing set powdercoated...

I will say that these two case were both brought up to us at the same time. They are the very first cases on customers having these issue. If you do a simple search this will become evident.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Better photo. I promise I was holding the square straight.
They are supposed to be at that angle. The JK frame runs wide to narrow, from front to back. When the tubing is notched and put into the jig the frame plates are square to the tubing, the notch in the tubing however is at 4 degrees. That’s the angle you’re seeing.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:16 AM
VKS
Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by DJ1
How about if we send them back and you slap on 1/4" flanges so we can still keep them bolt-on? I don't need a new set of sliders. I just need a more robust (thicker steel) mounting flange on both legs.

Increasing the steel thickness by .062” will not cure the issues brought up here. The issues is the attachment points. Believe me, we with the JK frame was ½” thick and we could have a massive amount of thread engagement. Unfortunately there about .100” and that’s being generous. That’s why if a customer plans on putting them through their paces we ALWAYS recommend welding them.

Quick Reply: Rock Slider time for my 2dr JK!