Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Sliders with steps

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Sliders with steps

Morning all,

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forum before, but after a quick search I can't find anything. I am looking for a set or rock sliders with an integrated step for the family.

My research here has left me with a couple of questions.

1: Frame vs Body mounted. Can someone explain the positives/negatives of each?

2: I saw a Rampage autoretracting step/rock slider, but I can't imagine that a good slider is going to be allowed to pivot like that, I would think it would be easily bent/broken at the hinges. Has anyone seen it/run it?

3: Any recommendations from those of you in a similar predicament?

thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by glennco
Morning all,

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forum before, but after a quick search I can't find anything. I am looking for a set or rock sliders with an integrated step for the family.

My research here has left me with a couple of questions.

1: Frame vs Body mounted. Can someone explain the positives/negatives of each?

2: I saw a Rampage autoretracting step/rock slider, but I can't imagine that a good slider is going to be allowed to pivot like that, I would think it would be easily bent/broken at the hinges. Has anyone seen it/run it?

3: Any recommendations from those of you in a similar predicament?

thanks in advance
Frame mounted is more solid. You can also use a Hi-lift! And, if you install a body lift, the step will be a little bit lower.

Last edited by Yoda; 01-21-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I've seen both those threads, but neither of them spent any time explaining in what situations you'd choose a body mount over a frame mount etc.

Also, anyone seen the "Rampage Retractable Rocker" to judge its quality, or have any opinions.

thanks again.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
kcs
JK Newbie

Default sliders

FYI, I just installed the OEM Mopar rock rails with sliders. They mount right up, takes about 20 minutes. My wife and kid use the the slider rail as a step....Check with your local jeep dealership regarding these. I think they call them "enhanced rocker guards" or something like that. Anyway, works great for us...Kent
Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Frame mounted is more solid. You can also use a Hi-lift! And, if you install a body lift, the step will be a little bit lower.
I'm not sure about that.

The purejeep body mounts are solid. I've used the highlift jack on them. They are not going anywhere.

They have a nice step built on them as well. I prefer the body mount, more clearance.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Not true... I have had both and the body mounts ones can be stronger. Frame mounted ones can flex into the body (speaking from experience). With body mounted ones, the load is distributed across the body. Frame mounted ones pass the load to a connecting point which will flex if you hit it right on the mount.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I made my own and mounted them to the body mounts and the holes at the pinch seam at the bottom of the jeep. Here is the link that has pics.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-new-rock-rails-64027/
Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I decided to go with a frame mount. My thinking was, I could distribute the force of slamming down on a rock to the frame, instead of to the pinch seam on the body tub. Just my opinion though. That being said, I went with Shrockworks sliders. They have a slider to protect the body plus a tube to use as a step. You can get them in three finishes; bare steel, black, or textured black.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

L
ō
D

Frame mounted.

I thought they might get slick with snow or water, but they've been great.

There would be something seriously wrong if they ever flexed enough to get into the body. I've lifted the whole side of my hardtop Unlimited off the ground with the slider. (I was confident enough to put my jack stand under the slider when installing my lift, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be recommended.)

I have a 5'3" wife and three kids, ages 7, 9, and 11. No complaints.

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 01-21-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Its not the static load, its the dynamic load that flexs the beams connecting the rail to the frame. The load of the jeep slamming down right at that connecting point is when the flex occurs. Its happend to my jeep many times..and have seen it on others.

Now you can make frame mounted rails stronger but the ones I have seen are only connected at two possibly three points. The more connecting points, the stronger so technically you can make a frame mounted rail stronger. It just isn't practical.

I am not saying that body mounted rails can't be dammaged... just saying that the canter lever beam design of a frame mounted rails are typically weaker because they don't have enough mounting points.

Quick Reply: Rock Sliders with steps