Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Replacement

Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Replacement

With approximately 85k miles my Jeep got its first replacement of brake pads. At the time of the service (early February of this year) I could not afford replacement rotors. There has been a very noticeable squeaking whenever I come to a stop, which I can only assume is being caused by worn out rotors. My question is there an advantage to replacing the stock brake rotors with aftermarket rotors that are described as being drilled and slotted? I do an occasional amount of off-roading, maybe once or twice every few months, so my thought was that aftermarket rotors may be better suited than would the stock. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unless you're racing or heavy rock crawling I personally don't see the advantage. But hey if you can get beefier ones for only 20-30 bucks more than why not
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I run the EBC drilled and slotted rotors with their pads. There is a definite quicker stopping ability than stock. I mainly run these to compensate for the added weight of my 34" tires and heavy bumpers ands skids. If your JK is stock there really isn't a need but "because you can" is always a good option!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue project
I run the EBC drilled and slotted rotors with their pads. There is a definite quicker stopping ability than stock. I mainly run these to compensate for the added weight of my 34" tires and heavy bumpers ands skids. If your JK is stock there really isn't a need but "because you can" is always a good option!
i ran these on my land rover, which is much heavier than a loaded up jk and had no complaints. I noticed a huge difference in stopping power. Both in daily driving and while pulling a 12' enclosed trailer at 4000#'s. I will betting these on the jk when it's ready.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed Power Stop drilled rotors and pads on the rear. Noticed improved breaking right away, good so far and it's been 25,000 Kms

Wool put these up front when the time is right. They were priced reasonable too, 229.00 out the door for rotors and pads. (Rear)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Anyone notice actual decreased braking ability or decreased pad life with drilled/ slotted? If you think about it, you've got less surface area to bite into (in the OE size) and all of the holes and chamfers will have an edge to wear away more or the pad than the standard slick surface.

There are also rumors (can't find the threads now) of these style rotors cracking when they're exposed to cold liquids or snow- again, due to the lack of surface area. The heat is built up in what metal is there and it's much easier to form a crack between two small holes than a solid rotor.

Fyi- I run stock rotors all around with HPS+ in the rear, OE in the front at 100k miles with pulling a 2k lb trailer (atv's on a 5x12' flat).

I'm certainly open to facts if you've got them to either confirm or deny the theory and experiences presented above. Who wouldn't want a worthwhile upgrade in their braking system?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
Anyone notice actual decreased braking ability or decreased pad life with drilled/ slotted? If you think about it, you've got less surface area to bite into (in the OE size) and all of the holes and chamfers will have an edge to wear away more or the pad than the standard slick surface. There are also rumors (can't find the threads now) of these style rotors cracking when they're exposed to cold liquids or snow- again, due to the lack of surface area. The heat is built up in what metal is there and it's much easier to form a crack between two small holes than a solid rotor. Fyi- I run stock rotors all around with HPS+ in the rear, OE in the front at 100k miles with pulling a 2k lb trailer (atv's on a 5x12' flat). I'm certainly open to facts if you've got them to either confirm or deny the theory and experiences presented above. Who wouldn't want a worthwhile upgrade in their braking system?
the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Green stuff pads outlasted the stock land rover rotors and pads that were on my Landy. Enough for me. I also used EBC on my utility quad, racing quad and my Buell street bike. Same results. Better braking, longer wear.

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacement