Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Rough" Country

Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Rough" Country

6 months ago I installed a rough country 2.5" suspension lift with shocks on my 2 door JK. For the price of the lift I have been very happy with it but after half a year a very rough ride i'm looking to improve it.

I am a student on a tight budget and am wondering what your guys thoughts are on the following options,

New Shocks vs. adjustable control arms

- If I get new shocks im thinking of the Rancho 9000's (also how big is the difference between the 9000s and 7000s)

Also what are peoples thoughts on the AEV geometric correction brackets vs control arms?

- I know control arms are a better option but the price of the AEV brackets are tempting

I don't off-road a ton but would like something that will take some abuse on the trail

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by canuckjeeper
6 months ago I installed a rough country 2.5" suspension lift with shocks on my 2 door JK. For the price of the lift I have been very happy with it but after half a year a very rough ride i'm looking to improve it.

I am a student on a tight budget and am wondering what your guys thoughts are on the following options,

New Shocks vs. adjustable control arms

- If I get new shocks im thinking of the Rancho 9000's (also how big is the difference between the 9000s and 7000s)

Also what are peoples thoughts on the AEV geometric correction brackets vs control arms?

- I know control arms are a better option but the price of the AEV brackets are tempting

I don't off-road a ton but would like something that will take some abuse on the trail

Thanks!
I've been running the rancho 7000's and like them. They aren't the softest shock in the world but they did improve my ride by quite a bit. The 9000's have an adjustable feature that lets you soften of stiffen the ride by turning a knob. I couldn't swing the price of the 9000's at the time, but when the 7000's go, I'll be stepping up to the 9000's. If you can swing the cash get the 9000's other wise get the 7000's and save the money for the other stuff you'd like to do.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
I've been running the rancho 7000's and like them. They aren't the softest shock in the world but they did improve my ride by quite a bit. The 9000's have an adjustable feature that lets you soften of stiffen the ride by turning a knob. I couldn't swing the price of the 9000's at the time, but when the 7000's go, I'll be stepping up to the 9000's. If you can swing the cash get the 9000's other wise get the 7000's and save the money for the other stuff you'd like to do.
I agree. The 9000's seem like the best option but I think the 7000's would get the job done for me and happen to be easier on the wallet. Im sure the 7000's would be a significant improvement. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rough country drop control arm brackets are pretty much identical to the AEV at a fraction of the cost I ran them for a couple of years no problem. Control arms or drop brackets are a great option and I would recommend them highly but it's really not going to help your ride quality much if any.

Shocks can make the biggest difference I would go 9000s for sure. I think you will be disappointed if you get the 7000s.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

The drop brackets do help with ride by making control arms flatter thus allowing the springs and shocks do their jobs. The increased angle on arms transfers bumps to the frame thus into the body and u
Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
The drop brackets do help with ride by making control arms flatter thus allowing the springs and shocks do their jobs. The increased angle on arms transfers bumps to the frame thus into the body and u
I didn't see it with the drop bracket nor did I see it with the Rock Krawler control arms. Rode the same both times. Maybe a little worse with the RK control arms. Only time I have ever noticed a difference is with springs and shocks. Changing springs and shocks was a huge difference.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dahmer
I think you will be disappointed if you get the 7000s.
Personally, I disagree completely. While you may be happier with the adjustable 9000s, I've found the 7000s are good as well. Depends on your price range I suppose. When I was in college, $800 for new shocks would have been difficult to accept, to say the least.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

I installed the Rough Country 2.5” spacer lift with Rancho RS9000xl shocks on my 2007 2 door JK a few months back. I must say that it drives the same as stock and rides softer on #1 or #2 setting. I had to bump the rear shocks to #3 if there are 4 people in the Jeep because it will bottom out on big bumps on lower settings. I’ve towed my boat and utility trailer and I run the rear shocks at #6. This lift is cheap, rides better than stock, is adjustable for the ride you like and will last longer than ones using aftermarket bushings and springs. I couldn’t be happier.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Check the promotions for Rancho. See if a 4 for 3 or a mail-in rebate is going on, and also see if the try-for-90 days deal is still around - if you don't like the shocks, send them back for a refund. They also have control arm brackets, and the scuttlebutt says the one-piece design is a bit better than aev's. I have not tried the 9000's or the brackets, but feedback for both has been positive.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

P.S. I just added my response to this old post because I didn't find anyone else running the same combo.

Quick Reply: "Rough" Country