Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Lift Comparison Opinions?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Lift Comparison Opinions?

Hi guys,

I have a 2013 wrangler unlimited and I am looking for a good lift. Currently I am between the Rough Country 4" x-series suspension lift (4in X-series Suspension Lift Kit for 07-14 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited [674X] | Rough Country Suspension Systems)

and the 3.5" suspension lift (3.5in Suspension Lift Kit for 07-14 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited [609S] | Rough Country Suspension Systems).

not sure if the more expensive one is necessary my goal is to clear 35's with no rubbing. Thoughts on these lifts? Would you recommend a different one?

I know there are a lot of threads similar, I searched for similar info on the Rough Country lifts and didn't find anything, sorry if I missed something!

Thanks!

Last edited by LittleGTL; 04-15-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start with the two threads stickied to the top of this modified area. That should give you some background on lifting, a better idea of the issues you are likely to run in to when you lift, and the components you will probably want to fix those issues.

Are you willing to run flat flares, or trim your stock flares? You will be much better off going with a smaller lift and flat flares, than a taller lift and stock flares.

There are quite a few threads for the RC lifts, do a couple more searches and you'll find tons of feedback. (The majority of which will tell you not to cheap out on a lift...)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

You don't need a 4" lift to clear 35's. IMO I wouldn't buy any rough country lifts unless it was my last choice. But that's just me, other people run RC lifts and don't mind them. I would go with a smaller lift that's better quality and flat fenders like he said.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 3.5" series ii lift on a 2 door. I know most here will bash RC, but I have had no issues at all with my kit and imo it rides very comparable to a stock JK. Install was pretty smooth. Took me and a buddy about 6 hours to put it all on. I think the new shocks are much better than what previous kits came with, or so I hear. I've had this lift on for about a year and a half and about 20k milea or so. It's holding up fine and like I said, I have no complaints. I think it's a pretty great kit for the money. Also my Jeep is on 35" km2's and I have plenty of room.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you, I really appreciate the input!

Originally Posted by hair2831
I have the 3.5" series ii lift on a 2 door. I know most here will bash RC, but I have had no issues at all with my kit and imo it rides very comparable to a stock JK. Install was pretty smooth. Took me and a buddy about 6 hours to put it all on. I think the new shocks are much better than what previous kits came with, or so I hear. I've had this lift on for about a year and a half and about 20k milea or so. It's holding up fine and like I said, I have no complaints. I think it's a pretty great kit for the money. Also my Jeep is on 35" km2's and I have plenty of room.
Have you had any wear issues not having all 8 arms? That's my big wonder between the kits.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tire wear? No. My km2's have close to 25k miles on them now and are wearing great. I do a 5 tire rotation every 4-5k miles. Here's a pic. U can kinda get an idea of my wear pattern. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2181267066.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	545943
Another angle of the front tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2102485761.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	545944

Last edited by hair2831; 04-15-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

What do you plan to do with the Jeep?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had posted this before on another thread-

I bought the 4" X-flex system (4in X-series Suspension Lift Kit for 07-13 Jeep JK Wrangler [673X] | Rough Country Suspension Systems) because for the money you can't beat it... you get everything. The control arms are VERY beefy and I was impressed with the ride quality and flex. Now my only complaint are the RC Flex joint (fake johnny joints). I had the first one rip apart within 15 miles of driving to the trail (on flat pavement). With in a week ALL 4 front had ripped apart and I had to put spot welds on the screw-in side washer to keep them together. I heard RC support is great and I could have called them for replacement but I didn't waste my time, I just ordered real Johnny Joint replacement ends (all 8 for front and rear) and now everything is ROCK Solid and still way under what I would have paid for everything from another kit. And yes, I wheel the crap out of it

Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rough country is the lowest quality aftermarket Jeep suspension made.
At 80 mph I'd rather not have a critical suspension component just fall apart .

This...
because for the money you can't beat it... you get everything
Then...

I had the first one rip apart within 15 miles of driving to the trail (on flat pavement). With in a week ALL 4 front had ripped apart
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 4.5 on for 2 years springs and shocks are as good as new. I did add the arms and one of the joints on the front came apart. It was a install issue not RCa fault. Replacement was a piece of cake. Their support is great!!
Oh by the way it's 4.5" and 33's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1223509353.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	546042  

Quick Reply: Rough Country Lift Comparison Opinions?