Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon Express 2.5 Spacer Lift to 2.5 Spring Lift

Old 05-24-2015, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Express 2.5 Spacer Lift to 2.5 Spring Lift

A few years ago, I cheaped out and got a Rubicon Express "budget boost" 2.5" spacer lift with shocks. Essentially using my stock JK Rubicon springs with a rubber spacer lift. The ride is extremely stiff and I'd like to soften it up a bit as it reminds me of my old YJ.

Question is, can I just replace the springs and spacers with new springs or should I go with a full lift kit? Are my shocks creating any of the stiff ride or is it all springs?

Used for mild wheeling, mostly trails these days.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I recently went from a TF level kit and Rubi shocks to a full AEV 2.5 system. Wow what a difference drives like a new Jeep again. Coils and shocks are a matched pair.

In your case if you just replace the coils and spacers with longer coils, you shocks will not be long enough.

Yes, shock play a big part in overall ride comfort, plenty to consider.

Dirtman started a thread here call my thoughts on lifts.... Great read set I recommend giving that a look.

Also at 2.5" there are other things to consider such as track bar and longer sway links in the front. Each manufacture does something a bit different so do your homework.

Don't forget to address your front geometry makes all the difference in the world even with 2.5"

RE 2.5 coil with their bills was my second choice

IMO complete is the way to go
Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man I wish you didn't make so much sense. I have a quote on my desk for the AEV 2.5 with geometry correction brackets...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Geometry correction brackets simply lower the frame mounting point for the control arms don't they?
I'm joking with adjustable control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What is the tire size / load rate / psi? Over-inflation on a tire with stiff sidewalls might be all it is.

During the spacer install, were all control arm and trackbar bolts loosened, then tightened while on the ground? If not, some people have indicated an improved ride after loosening and shaking their jeep.

Who's 2.5" coils are you considering? Do some research so you know what lift height you can expect from them. Could be 2", could be 4" or more. The higher you end up, the more likely you are to want to add components. (these is a lot of personal preference involved, so research what the various components do and at what heights most people start wanting them)

I am not familiar with their shocks, but a little research should tell you if they are known to be stiff. The shock 'length' will be fine, since you are swapping from 2.5" spacers to 2.5" coils.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BillyJack
Man I wish you didn't make so much sense. I have a quote on my desk for the AEV 2.5 with geometry correction brackets...
Add geometry brackets to what you have. Aftermarket coils are going to firm up the Ride more.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express 2.5 Spacer Lift to 2.5 Spring Lift