Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon transfer case really better?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon transfer case really better?

I'm running a 6inch longarm 40's with ultimate 60s 5.38 gear ratio.

I still have a stock sport transfer case. If I found a good deal on a rubicon is it worth me getting a rubicon transfer case to replace my sport one or is the difference not really that noticeable. I am a 6spd manual 2007 jku supercharged jeep. I do like the rock crawling stuff most over anything else.

Any advice thought comments appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-344670503.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	653.9 KB
ID:	666760  
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

My first thought is if you've dropped that kind of coin on the rig, I would be looking at an Atlas if you want to move to a transfer case with lower gears.

The link below will give you the overall crawl ratio for your rig so you can compare RPM or overall crawl ration, etc..

The Rubi TC is 4:1 while yours is 2.72:1 when in 4LO (both are 1:1 in 4HI).

4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like rock crawling a transfer case swap is a good thing. If you are looking to save coin a Rubi case is a great option, but like above if you have the funds an Atlas is the best choice.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
My first thought is if you've dropped that kind of coin on the rig, I would be looking at an Atlas if you want to move to a transfer case with lower gears. The link below will give you the overall crawl ratio for your rig so you can compare RPM or overall crawl ration, etc.. The Rubi TC is 4:1 while yours is 2.72:1 when in 4LO (both are 1:1 in 4HI). 4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators
Well I have a few things that I want to tackle here at the same time 1) hydro steer, 2) thinking about ori struts both expensive mods. Atlas is what I want for sure I agree but I'm wondering if I find a rubi transfer case for cheap low miles would you pull the trigger? Would there be that much of a noticeable difference? Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
Well I have a few things that I want to tackle here at the same time 1) hydro steer, 2) thinking about ori struts both expensive mods. Atlas is what I want for sure I agree but I'm wondering if I find a rubi transfer case for cheap low miles would you pull the trigger? Would there be that much of a noticeable difference? Thanks
So your current crawl ratio (in 1st gear) is 65.27:1 and at 5mph you will be at 2741.2 rpm

With a Rubi TC it will be 98.38:1 and at 5mph you will be at 4131.9 rpm
Old 02-18-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

The question is how many times when crawling over a tough obstacle you kill the engine or have to slip the clutch. The lower gear case would be a big improvement there.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Get and atlas and gain the twin stick advantage. You really need to go with some hydraulic assist before that though.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billbikes
The question is how many times when crawling over a tough obstacle you kill the engine or have to slip the clutch. The lower gear case would be a big improvement there.

With this new gear ratio. I've gotten to the point where killin the engine is almost of the past all tho there are instances where is like holy shiz on a ledge and the last thing u want is to kill the engine lol
Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Get and atlas and gain the twin stick advantage. You really need to go with some hydraulic assist before that though.
so u say hydro before the transfer case? Hydro is a must now just wondering what to purchase first it's gotten to the point where on some obstacles I'm forced to inch forward or revesrse to even turn the tires..... at the point it may kick u off of the rocks and force a reset.... trust me the lack of hydro is hurting lol
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
So your current crawl ratio (in 1st gear) is 65.27:1 and at 5mph you will be at 2741.2 rpm With a Rubi TC it will be 98.38:1 and at 5mph you will be at 4131.9 rpm

I see the light thanks man so it's about a 40 percent increase?

Quick Reply: Rubicon transfer case really better?