Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon transfer case really better?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
I see the light thanks man so it's about a 40 percent increase?
And also higher into your rpm range. Not sure what SC you're running. If it's a RIPP, this'll help that too.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
And also higher into your rpm range. Not sure what SC you're running. If it's a RIPP, this'll help that too.
yeah I'm running a ripp im also running a mishimoto radiator hell to install manufactured by a disfunctional crew for sure lol had to tweak and cut the brackets to make it work didn't have time to go through the complaint process and was aware of this issue up front lol.

If I can nail one low miles for 6-800 I think it would be worth getting. I know ppl are gonna say u won't find one that price but I have my eyes on someone that I think will let go for that price lol

Get hydro and the rubi at the same time this way. Later on get the atlas after my Ori struts I think that's a conservative way of going about this?
Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
I see the light thanks man so it's about a 40 percent increase?
The real life increase is going to minimal since you already have 5.38 gears and are not killing the motor. Sometimes going too slow is detrimental since you can not carry the momentum to get over big rocks or steep climbs. I would not swap in a rubi case if it were free with your set up. Twin sticks are going to give you much more performance.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, If your low range works well for you with your gears and SC then throw in some hydro assist. There is a great write up on JK owners about doing it yourself, or you can also go west Texas or PSC route.

For our hydro we went with WTO and just got in a new rebuilt ported box and sent our core back. Be sure to order an extra hose or have one made at NAPA for a trail spare.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel uniquely situated to respond to this post. I just traded in my 13 2dr sport. I put in 4.56 gears, and it had a 6speed. On the rocks, specifically a big and tough obstacle, I feel like I stalled all the time. These engines are frustrating, in that once is starts to die, you can pin the throttle all you want, but the engine's going to die. Fly by wire, baby. I found that really, really frustrating. So much so that I looked into a transfer case swap.

I just had my first baby boy, wife gave the go-ahead for a 4door. Got me a 2017 rubicon. Took it in the sand, and my first impression is that it didn't feel like it crawled more slowly, but the revs were higher. That is what I wanted-- stall protection. I'll hold off until I get on a rock trail, but I think I'm going to be much happier. Full disclosure though-- I got myself high centered, and did stall the engine once. So it's not stall proof when you slip the clutch.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 AM
DJ1
Former Member

To touch on what others have already said, just look at the V8 swaps and why Motech actually prefers the Sport/Sahara TC over the Rubi-TC for their new installs. With the additional gearing that comes with the 1st/2nd gears on the swapped tranny, their engine/trans swaps mated to a Rubi-TC leave much to be desired in 4-lo.

I'm probably being very conservative with that statement because from what I've read, it seems like it sucks balls with the 4:1 TC and that was only in a mud pit. Basically not enough momentum to push through like Dirty touched on.

In my case, that's the main reason why I'm sticking with the 2.72:1 because I will be adding more power via a supercharger and 4.56 gears.

The Atlas of course will give you everything you need assuming you got the $ to drop...

Last edited by DJ1; 02-19-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
To touch on what others have already said, just look at the V8 swaps and why Motech actually prefers the Sport/Sahara TC over the Rubi-TC for their new installs. With the additional gearing that comes with the 1st/2nd gears on the swapped tranny, their engine/trans swaps mated to a Rubi-TC leave much to be desired in 4-lo.

I'm probably being very conservative with that statement because from what I've read, it seems like it sucks balls with the 4:1 TC and that was only in a mud pit. Basically not enough momentum to push through like Dirty touched on.

In my case, that's the main reason why I'm sticking with the 2.72:1 because I will be adding more power via a supercharger and 4.56 gears.

The Atlas of course will give you everything you need assuming you got the $ to drop...
Its not that they leave much to be desired, its that the gearing is too low for what most people are using their rigs for; the 4:1 tcase delivers far more power to the ground and at a lower speed making rock gardens and obstacles in a 6 speed much more manageable.

The 6L80 paired with the 241J brings the 4L ratio to near that of a stock Rubicon, which is optimal for playing on the rocks. The 241J I would agree is likely better in mud if you need a higher wheel speed. So it really depends what the OP is wheeling in/on, we have no mud in SoCal just rocks & dirt, the 241J is as lacking in the rocks with a 6spd as a 241OR may be in the mud....
Old 02-19-2017, 10:27 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Its not that they leave much to be desired, its that the gearing is too low for what most people are using their rigs for; the 4:1 tcase delivers far more power to the ground and at a lower speed making rock gardens and obstacles in a 6 speed much more manageable.

The 6L80 paired with the 241J brings the 4L ratio to near that of a stock Rubicon, which is optimal for playing on the rocks. The 241J I would agree is likely better in mud if you need a higher wheel speed. So it really depends what the OP is wheeling in/on, we have no mud in SoCal just rocks & dirt, the 241J is as lacking in the rocks with a 6spd as a 241OR may be in the mud....

The thread I had read was actually Motech commenting directly (they were the ones testing in the mud) which is why for any new installs, whether it's rocks or mud, they prefer the 2.72:1 if not running an Atlas.

If we're talking totally stock, then yeah I'd lean more towards the Rubi-TC since I don't care too much for mud but I know many who would love to have the 2:72:1 instead playing in the sand.

So pretty much, get an Atlas and be done with it. But since the OP is running 40's, hydro is what he should take care of first.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Jasoncinpean

I would like to apologize that you seem to have had an issue with one of our products.

If you would like to resolve this issue feel free to contact us directly at support@mishimoto.com

Thank you,
Mishimoto
Old 03-07-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mention that the hydro assist is a big and expensive upgrade, I don't think it needs to be if you contact the fellows at West Texas Off-Road. For $500 you can actually turn your steering wheel again. While locked. While nose down on one front tire. On sticky rocks. It's easy to install assuming you have a basic mig welded for brackets. It will be ranked up there as one of the best upgrades you have made to the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Rubicon transfer case really better?