Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUFF STUFF Offset Tie Rod Kit

Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Most informative post ive read in awhile.... Actually so informative i now feel dumber after reading it.

I guess you were realllllly dumb before then. Hey call it like I see it. Sounds like some name a 4 year old came up with for a business. or "urban"ites. YO YO.....BUY RUFF STUFF and look good in da hood!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
The Ruff Stuff tie rod bends pretty easy. I went thru two before I changed over to synergy.
have to agree with this, mine bent 1st trip out and I don't remember even hanging up on anything. Went with CMM aluminum tie rod which uses the same offset joints and its been bulletproof so far.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeep-rat
have to agree with this, mine bent 1st trip out and I don't remember even hanging up on anything. Went with CMM aluminum tie rod which uses the same offset joints and its been bulletproof so far.
My point proven! thank you!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack

I guess you were realllllly dumb before then. Hey call it like I see it. Sounds like some name a 4 year old came up with for a business. or "urban"ites. YO YO.....BUY RUFF STUFF and look good in da hood!
Wheres your first hand experience. As of now call me dumb all you want you just sound like a mumbling idiot...

All parts can break. Just because one may have failed in a certain scenario and one didn't in a different scenario isn't really proof one may suck. One shitty line can ruin all. Ive seen tons of different tie rods bend. Its common as most people don't high steer them. Ive ran i think 4 different tie rods and all have bent. If you wheel hard enough you can break/bend any. It depends on the terrain you wheel and how often. I agree some may hold up slightly better, but under scenarios that may bend/break one id bet most will see the same result .

Last edited by Maertz; 03-02-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Ive got their front LCA's and they are pretty beefy. They also make a lot of fabricator parts that I think are nice. Just wish they would use chromoly for their tie rod instead of DOM.
buy the offset rod ends and purchase bungs and chromo tubing locally. Problem solved.. Thats the beauty of builders parts.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Wheres your first hand experience. As of now call me dumb all you want you just sound like a mumbling idiot...

All parts can break. Just because one may have failed in a certain scenario and one didn't in a different scenario isn't really proof one may suck. One shitty line can ruin all. Ive seen tons of different tie rods bend. Its common as most people don't high steer them. Ive ran i think 4 different tie rods and all have bent. If you wheel hard enough you can break/bend any. It depends on the terrain you wheel and how often. I agree some may hold up slightly better, but under scenarios that may bend/break one id bet most will see the same result .

How about doing the same. Considering you were calling me an idiot. Its true when I think RUFF stuff, I think DMX, flat bib hats on sideways and pants bagged to your knees. Not well built off road parts for a jeep. Maybe they sell 26" chrome wheels too!. As I mentioned. Sounds like a company making "hoopties" not strong off road parts.

Bad choice in names. and obviously people here have had issues with their parts.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi

How about doing the same. Considering you were calling me an idiot. Its true when I think RUFF stuff, I think DMX, flat bib hats on sideways and pants bagged to your knees. Not well built off road parts for a jeep. Maybe they sell 26" chrome wheels too!. As I mentioned. Sounds like a company making "hoopties" not strong off road parts.

Bad choice in names. and obviously people here have had issues with their parts.
I will not continue to argue. I have not heard on valid point yet, just discrimination based upon your personal opinions (not experience) and also on people's looks or companies names.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

The only issue with the Ruff Stuff tie rod is the use of regular DOM. It's not cheap DOM, but DOM is least ideal in terms of tie rod use (referring to mild steel). You'd need to go large and heavy and that doesn't work well. Chromoly is a great option. Better yet, tuff DOM. That stuff is awesome. You get what you pay for. That doesn't mean the design is cheap or the materials are cheap. If you are buying without some level of metallurgy knowledge, then the blame falls on you. Most people who shop Ruff Stuff understand the basics at the very least.

Regarding Ruff Stuff as a company. I'm not calling anyone out, but any negative comments highlight a significant lack of perspective and knowledge in the offroad world outside of the little JK bolt-on garbage/go crawl some curbs at the mall society. You're just helping the stereotype that JK owners are a bunch of posers. Who uses Ruff Stuff? Ultra4's, rock bouncers, hardcore off-roaders. You know, people who scratch their head at the phrase "bolt on".

Last edited by Invest2m4; 03-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

no Mall Crawling here. My jeep is in the backcountry 3-4 times a week starting in april and ending when there is too much snow to get in. Just because it's BOLT ON, does not mean it does not get used. My jeep is getting a full refresh of the undercarriage this spring, as well as extra gear carrying capacity so we can go weeks without seeing civilization. I guess "RUFF STUFF" is for RUFF rock crawlers. Something I have zero interest in. Rock crawling is off my radar completely. We spend days and days exploring 1000s of kms of backcountry, not days and days exploring 10 sq meters of rock lump.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi

no Mall Crawling here. My jeep is in the backcountry 3-4 times a week starting in april and ending when there is too much snow to get in. Just because it's BOLT ON, does not mean it does not get used. My jeep is getting a full refresh of the undercarriage this spring, as well as extra gear carrying capacity so we can go weeks without seeing civilization. I guess "RUFF STUFF" is for RUFF rock crawlers. Something I have zero interest in. Rock crawling is off my radar completely. We spend days and days exploring 1000s of kms of backcountry, not days and days exploring 10 sq meters of rock lump.
You make it seem like you had literally no clue what they did....

Quick Reply: RUFF STUFF Offset Tie Rod Kit