Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge tire carrier linkage

Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaxLoki
Does the XHD rear bumber work with stock receiver hitch??
Yes... It was designed to work with the factory receiver.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wondering if anyone has tried this with a PureJeep rear yet? My average day has me going through at least 4 open/close cycles.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finnd1
wondering if anyone has tried this with a PureJeep rear yet? My average day has me going through at least 4 open/close cycles.
No reports on anything but the RR rear so far...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone that has this linkage installed experiencing it rattle or any excess noise?

I wanting to put it on my RR XHD rear....
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Carrier less latch

I think the MORE carrier works this way. No latch at all, just linked to the gate.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone installed this on any other aftermarket bumpers? I would love to see a video of it in action or some pictures.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raidone
Anyone that has this linkage installed experiencing it rattle or any excess noise?

I wanting to put it on my RR XHD rear....
After some moderate wheelin last weekend, the nut came loose and started to rattle. A little blue stuff and the nut is locked in now! It was surprising how loud it was, it thought I left the gate unlatched it was so loud... But all fixed now.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kflash
[...]

Not that the linkage is installed, you open the carrier latch, and then the pull open the gate. It all opens as one unit - nice and smooth.

HOWEVER-this is my constructive criticism - the tire carrier is now limited on how far it can open before the pivot comes in contact with the plastic cover on the lower gate hinge. Previously, the carrier's docking pin would fall into a hole and keep it from moving when open. This would allow the rear gate to open past perpendicular to the Jeep.

Now, it may still take two people on uneven ground to make sure you don't mess up the rear gate when pressing (smashing) against the carriers pivot. NOT sure I like this! Update - I took a short piece of plastic tubing and sliced it lengthwise. I slipped it over the round tube that holds the locking pin on the carrier pivot. Not if the gate contacts the pivot, it will only press against the tubing - no metal on plastic rub.

[...]

Will have to test over time...thanks for listening.

Attachment 80902 Wonder if there should be a jam nut on both sides? Instructions only mention one.
Attachment 80901
Attachment 80904 This is as far as the rear gate can open without touching
Attachment 80903
Attachment 80900 Suggest a new docking hole be drilled to prevent the gate from hitting the carrier pivot
Sorry for digging out this old thread but since I am about to order the RR Tire Carrier and the RR Linkage I was just wondering if this here is a problem at all. I mean instead of asking Rugged Ridge to relocate the pivot, wouldn't it have been possible to choose a position for the bracket of the linkage a little more to the right on the frame of the tire carrier (see photo below)? This way the linkage would have had to be adjusted accordingly rendering a longer linkage and maybe no risk of a collision between the lower tailgate hinge and the pivot of the tire carrier.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge tire carrier linkage