Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Relocation to temporarily use stock shocks with RK 2.5-3.5 lift

Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
you could buy some cheap rancho 5000X shocks right now for about dirt cheap and you might find they work way better than you expected. They have a rebate going on and after rebate you are at about $120 for a set of 4.
That's a decent option, however I am trying to gain the ground clearance in the back for crawling and also avoid spending money on shocks twice. And I'd like both the front and rear shock mounting positions to be at equal heights if you will. So if the rears raise up 2-3in, I want the fronts raised 2-3in. That way when I purchase nice shocks I won't be possibly having to order a set for 2.5 lifts and a set for 3.5+ lifts
Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those brackets look like a waste of money. Measure what size shocks you actually need front and rear and order a set of moderately priced shocks that fit your needs and budget. No point in doing this half assed and buying crap you're going to throw away as you get money for the stuff you actually need or want.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, you're going to spend more money/time on the relo brackets than $120 on some temp shocks
But i see your point for clearance, however,once you get the funds, you can upgrade to better shocks and re-sell the Ranchos with low miles, or keep them them as backups when rebuild time comes with the Fox units.

Btw, why will you want to get the Fox 2.0's instead of going with 2.5 body shocks ? a lot more performance in the 2.5 shocks, i'm in the same boat, and i'll be upgrading to Radflo 2.5's, Radfo is local to me, so i don't need to pack anything when rebuild time comes, and i bought rebranded Bislteins to go by in the meantime, better than stock in many forms, my POS stock shocks were leaking with just 36k miles, probably a Progarbagecomp shock will last longer than the stockers, go figures.

Last edited by rsmwrangler; 10-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

If you want EVO makes a relocation shock bracket for the rear. Not too sure on the cost though.
Something else to consider, these shocks (the 2.0 with reservoirs)should be rebuildable, so to limit down time get some RS5000X
Ha!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I would be keeping the new mounting positions regardless of what I buy in the future. I wouldn't be throwing the mounts away.

I have my jeep in the body shop right now due to a wreck that happened about a month ago, whole front suspension is pretty much trashed.

The shop just called me with a supplemental cost of $9100 towards suspension only....I'm going to go there Monday and try to talk the owner of the shop into buying RK X-Factor with the Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs instead of spending twice that amount for crappy stock replacement parts...

If I had them buy a used/new condition d44 front assembly, regear both ends to 4.88, buy the RK X-Factor with Fox, that would come out to around $5000, and they could pocket the extra $4k.

Has anyone had this type of situation? How could I go about talking the shop into doing this?

This is a golden opportunity to replace my entire suspension with what I would be buying in the future anyway, only out of the insurance's pocket, not mine. If they have a $9100 quote and it gets approved, wouldn't the shop have to be CRAZY to not want to save the extra $4k? I can maybe waive the repair warranty and just have them do the axle and gear change, then do the suspension work myself. I've already installed one on my friends Jeep, and could very easily complete the entire X-Factor install in a day. That would keep the time frame shorter for them having my Jeep cluttering their shop, and save them install time/"cost" AND they would keep $4k of left over money.

Does the insurance write the check upon approval of the repair cost? Or do they write the body shop check afterwards?

This seems almost too good to be true, however I've read a fee stories similar to what I'm proposing.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Ask the insurance company to pay you for the estimate and do whatever you want with it.

When you buy shocks you would be buying what you need to maximize travel, DO NOT buy shocks that are listed for a lift size. This will most likely reduce the amount of suspension travel since most people don't know how to properly set up the combination of coils, shocks, and bump stops. It will make no difference if you raise the rear and use extensions up front for a temp solution. Even the factory shocks are different lengths on the front and rear and offer different amounts of travel.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear use the Evo rockstar skid. I have them and love them. When I added longer shocks they just ended up giving me even more down travel!

Front I agree just add the upper chick extensions.

Back to the rear you can do rear shock extensions also

Both extensions I have see from Teraflex.

Quick Reply: Shock Relocation to temporarily use stock shocks with RK 2.5-3.5 lift