Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Short or long arm for jku

Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short or long arm for jku

Good evening all!

I have a 2011 jku sport. It's time to drop some cash and buy adjustable control arms. I think the long arm would be an awesome upgrade but it also looks like they can get beat up in the rocks very easily.

If you run long arms please post up your thoughts on all aspects of your experiences.

All input is greatly appreciated 😁
Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Before people start spewing what they think is awesome, why not fill the group in on what you want to do with your vehicle? How frequently do you do what you do with it? What's the most important thing to you?

These answers will illicit better responses than just throwing out an open ended question.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Right now it is my daily driver. But I really don't care about ride comfort because I'm building to be my weekend warrior. 2 years I'll have my truck and trailer and the jeep won't be on pavement much (goals). But I'm just looking for what is best for rock crawling/off-road racing(more goals lol)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saurber
Right now it is my daily driver. But I really don't care about ride comfort because I'm building to be my weekend warrior. 2 years I'll have my truck and trailer and the jeep won't be on pavement much (goals). But I'm just looking for what is best for rock crawling/off-road racing(more goals lol)
Are you seriously thinking about racing your 2011 jku? If you want a daily driver that wheels good, then a quality Mid Arm kit like the Rock Krawler X-Factor is all you would need. If you are planning on racing this jeep, then you are talking a whole different language.....
Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a RK Pro LA kit and it works great with no issues on the arms on rocks. Any arm can and will get hit.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

almost all the long arm kits offered for he JK have poor geometry, pinion changes, and clearance because they work around the factory axle control arm mounts and around the factory fuel tank. If you are building it then do a custom set up and pick the joint of your choice for the arms. In the end you will get a better product and performance then buying a kit. If you are going to race it then the geometry and shock set up are going to be the important things to look at.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Before people start spewing what they think is awesome, why not fill the group in on what you want to do with your vehicle? How frequently do you do what you do with it? What's the most important thing to you?

These answers will illicit better responses than just throwing out an open ended question.
Good advice. In general you can get great performance from a Jk using stock length arms and front control arm drop brackets. While there's no doubt long arms improve performance, there's a cost benefit trade off and the law of diminishing returns applies. An ideal setup would be a rear four link, but that can't be accomplished without a fuel tank relocation...and the dollars mount up. Sum it up with a conversation I had with John Currie several years ago at EJS. I asked him when Currie would release a long arm kit for JK. His reply was "Why, do you think you need one?" He suggested up to about 4.5" the benefit wasn't worth the cost & effort.

Quick Reply: Short or long arm for jku