Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i install my own lift kit?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should i install my own lift kit?

How many of you suggest i install my own lift kit rather than paying a shop to install it? let me know what you think, thanks.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's a good way to learn how to make repairs to your suspension. That is why I did my own. It took most of a weekend by myself as it was a complete kit.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine myself and I am glad I did because I learned so much about my jeep and also I just know that it was done right and didn't cut any corners.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
How many of you suggest i install my own lift kit rather than paying a shop to install it? let me know what you think, thanks.
I did mine. If you have the tools, place to install it and ability, do your own installation.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Depends

I say yes but it depends on a few things.

1. Do you have a garage at your home? If you don't your going to be doing all of this in a parking spot. Its doable

2. How familiar are you with tools? Basic hand tool knowledge is required have 2 sets of metric wrenches, breaker Bar, sockets, etc... basic tool set.

3. Have a friend available to help with the install. Doing it solo always makes it harder.

4. Don't be afraid to call tech support. Leave the egos at the Door if you think your missing something or have a question don't be afraid to call tech support. Worst thing you can do is Keep moving forward and guess you could be doing it wrong.

5. Depends on the lift long arm kits require cutting off the old brackets and welding new ones or moving the old ones to a new location on the frame if you don't weld don't try to do it, or get a friend who can weld to do it.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Good advice here. If it's a normal kit, and not a long arm, and you have a decent (non-gravel) spot to work on it, and are a little bit mechanically inclined, then go for it. Rather than giving your money to a mechanic, spend the money on some decent tools, and so it yourself.

Make sure you get a torque wrench. You need to torque things to spec. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg. You can get a craftsman one for like $44, and it will work perfect for the install, it's what I use. Haven't failed me yet.

There are a ton of different videos online about installing lifts on a JK. The Teraflex videos are a good place to start. As with everything else Jeep, research, research, research.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, if you aren't capable of installing it yourself, you shouldn't be off-roading where you need it.
No offense, but it's people like this that breaks something on a trail and expects people they're with to fix it.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
In my opinion, if you aren't capable of installing it yourself, you shouldn't be off-roading where you need it. No offense, but it's people like this that breaks something on a trail and expects people they're with to fix it.
I wish there was a like button. Spot on.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
In my opinion, if you aren't capable of installing it yourself, you shouldn't be off-roading where you need it. No offense, but it's people like this that breaks something on a trail and expects people they're with to fix it.
Seriously true. How do I take out my axle shaft?

Wait, I need tools?

Quick Reply: Should i install my own lift kit?