Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeved and gussetted D30 strong enough to rock crawl with 37" tires?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeved and gussetted D30 strong enough to rock crawl with 37" tires?

As above, is a sleeved and gussetted D30 with chromoly axles strong enough to go rock crawling with 37" tires?

Thanks for any input.

JR in San Ramon
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

As long as you don't spin the tires too much. Your not gonn damage the tubes but you'll blow up your diff
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyipney
As above, is a sleeved and gussetted D30 with chromoly axles strong enough to go rock crawling with 37" tires?

Thanks for any input.

JR in San Ramon
Probably be ok if you lay off the skinny, but tread carefully....
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

You'll probably get the answer that it won't hold up, but it really depends on how you work the pedal. If you're stomping it and racing up rocks and spinning tires...then probably not. But there's PLENTY of guys on here that manage to use the D30 on 37s and not break anything. Thats what I plan on doing soon. But as always...if you can drop the money on a PR44, you wouldn't have to worry
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dyipney

Thanks for any input.

JR in San Ramon
Certainly anything is possible. With the proper technique in driving, I go crawling with a 30 without gussets and because I'm cautious, no problems. If you plan to do some radical stuff that puts a major strain on the unit, then it's questionable. With what you have, I personally would be able to enjoy myself crawling on most anything. The key.......easy on the throttle.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
As long as you don't spin the tires too much. Your not gonn damage the tubes but you'll blow up your diff
I guess you can 'blow up your diff' if you want to....but anyone with caution can enjoy that combination. Everyone thinks that the gears in the differential is such a weak point but with "care" it isn't. Just don't drive the Jeep like a stadium trophy truck and you'll be fine. I have 3 plus years on this combination with 4:88's and never have had an issue. Been on many black diamond trails. It's all about technique.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 5150cliff

I guess you can 'blow up your diff' if you want to....but anyone with caution can enjoy that combination. Everyone thinks that the gears in the differential is such a weak point but with "care" it isn't. Just don't drive the Jeep like a stadium trophy truck and you'll be fine. I have 3 plus years on this combination with 4:88's and never have had an issue. Been on many black diamond trails. It's all about technique.
I agree I have the same setup and haven't broken a thing with stock shafts too. But if you drive like a....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1348418779.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	413452

One of these things is not like the other.....
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

i wheel with 37s. dana30, 513s, with ARB lockers. 2 years now. no issues. 1 year without gussets and sleeves.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed looks like this will be a good thread
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Ive been on 35's with sleeves and gussets, but will be going to 37's soon. In my research you will find FAR more people WITHOUT issues, versus people with issues and broken DS's

Quick Reply: Sleeved and gussetted D30 strong enough to rock crawl with 37" tires?