Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt tire carrier reviews?

Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a xrc. Running 35 on it. I welded a ace angle carrier to it. No issues at all
Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id say for the money why not just take advantage of the ORW forum Teraflex special. It is a little more but for the piece of mind you wont lose your 200+ dollar tire and however much you spent on your wheel it is much worth it. The Smittybilt stuff is nice but I think in terms of keeping my wheel off the pavement I am going to chose the Teraflex part. We use it with 37s on the company jeep and it gets driven like a pre-runner when the guys take it out so I know it wont break.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssramage
Anybody running the Smittybilt tire carrier? I've been running a 35 on my stock carrier for about 8 months and starting to get nervous...looking for a temporary (cheap) solution until I can get a bumper with carrier.
I ran it over a year. Tailgate started to creak. Then switched to a Teraflex.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw in my new 4wd catalog Smittybilt has a teraflex style carrier now about 1/2 the cost.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed the SB carrier tonight. I'm only running 33x12.50s, so it'll be fine for me.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
I ran it over a year. Tailgate started to creak. Then switched to a Teraflex.
So I installed my Teraflex tire carrier yesterday. I bought it for $218 straight from Teraflex. I can not believe how much better it is. It fits my tire very close to the gate, I even pressed it harder so the bumpstops are half squished. No more creaks, the tailgate doesn't shake like it is breaking when you open and close it. No more squeaking and rattling. I could not be happier! With the way this one sits and holds the tire I don't see a need to buy the hinge replacement anytime soon like I did with the smittybilt. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt tire carrier reviews?