Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt X20 Gen2 or Warn Zeon S: Decisions Decisions

Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt X20 Gen2 or Warn Zeon S: Decisions Decisions

Pulling the trigger on a winch within the next few days, but am having some serious trouble deciding what I want. I have narrowed it down to two winches, the Warn Zeon 10-s and the Smittybilt x20 Gen2 Comp (10,000 lbs). I can find hundreds of reviews on the Warn and would be purchasing that if the Gen2 x20's hadn't come out. However, I am now finding it hard to justify paying twice the price just for my winch to say Warn on it. Plus the Smittybilt is IP68 certified, which is something I really like to see. Warn's warranty seems to be unbeatable, but is it truly lifetime? Does this include anything electrical? Smittybilt's five year electrical warranty seems pretty substantial.

Bottom line, do I pay twice the price for the pretty but pricey Warn, or do I go with the Smittybilt piece with few reviews, but a lot of potential. I'm all ears!

Last edited by jeepJK199; 07-25-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quadratec at half the price. I have one and love it. I challenge you to find a negative review on one.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepJK199
Pulling the trigger on a winch within the next few days, but am having some serious trouble deciding what I want. I have narrowed it down to two winches, the Warn Zeon 10-s and the Smittybilt x20 Gen2 Comp (10,000 lbs). I can find hundreds of reviews on the Warn and would be purchasing that if the Gen2 x20's hadn't come out. However, I am now finding it hard to justify paying twice the price just for my winch to say Warn on it. Plus the Smittybilt is IP68 certified, which is something I really like to see. Warn's warranty seems to be unbeatable, but is it truly lifetime? Does this include anything electrical? Smittybilt's five year electrical warranty seems pretty substantial.

Bottom line, do I pay twice the price for the pretty but pricey Warn, or do I go with the Smittybilt piece with few reviews, but a lot of potential. I'm all ears!
Go with the Smittybilt right now.

I went with the Warn Zeon, but only because I got a ridiculously cheap deal, but right now it appears the Warn Zeon is almost twice as much.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the X20 Gen2 Comp. Well, it's my second one. The first one had an issue where it would randomly turn on for about 1/2 second due to some issue with the wireless setup. That has been fixed by Smittybilt. I haven't used to for a real recovery. I winched my Jeep with the brakes applied to a concrete light pole for the purpose of putting a tight spool on the drum.

I have seen many people winch themselves out of really tight spots with Smittybilt winches. Warns are great, but I can't see a double in value to match the price. If you have the money and really want the best, then Warn is the winch for you. If you are value minded and cost conscious like I am, go for the Smittybilt.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an ENGO?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Ordered a X20 Gen2 Comp and got a call today saying there was a 4 week wait for them. The vendor, Offroad Elements, took care of the problem by giving me a killer deal on the Warn Zeon 10-S. I think I made of really well with the discount and the promotion by Warn this month.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepJK199
Ordered a X20 Gen2 Comp and got a call today saying there was a 4 week wait for them. The vendor, Offroad Elements, took care of the problem by giving me a killer deal on the Warn Zeon 10-S. I think I made of really well with the discount and the promotion by Warn this month.
PM me with how much you got it for if you dont mind.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

I love my 10 -s looks and works great, but some advice on installing your synthetic line. Ditch the zip tie and use a metal coat hanger to pull the line through the drum. The zip tie will break and leave you frustrated.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went through this same debate...and included a lot of others for comparison. (Engo, Superwinch, Ramsey, etc. etc.) I ended up forking over the extra dough for the Warn Zeon 10-S and very happy I did. It's a good feeling knowing this is the last winch I'll ever need to buy. The Zeon is an awesome winch and Warn's customer service has been amazing. I posted a thread a while ago about snapping my synthetic line on my 10-S and I'll be damned, Warn sent me a new one! (** fyi, the cable is not covered under warranty.) Not only that but the smooth winding and quality of the Zeon components are second to none. Whether you're only going to use it a few times a year, or every day...you won't regret paying extra and knowing your winch will work when you need it. Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad you made the right decision for your situation.

I take exception, however, with the assumption that just because something costs more money that it is somehow better than an alternative. I won't dispute the quality of a Warn winch, that's not the point.

My Smittybilt X20 Comp winch comes with a lifetime mechanical warranty and a 5 year electrical warranty. Whereas, as far as I can tell, the Warn's electrical warranty is 1 year.

For me, I find it comforting that I didn't spend more on a winch than I needed to and I have a warranty that is substantial. When I bought my winch and installed it, I screwed up and cross threaded the grounding lug. Contacted Smittybilt - they sent me a whole new winch.

I watched a friend winch himself out of some pretty big rocks using his aged and well used Smittybilt winch.

We all have to make decisions that are best for each of us and I certainly don't want to suggest that any decision you made is better or worse than any decision I made. The Smittybilt is a great winch.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt X20 Gen2 or Warn Zeon S: Decisions Decisions