Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So i want to take apart

Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i want to take apart

The steering wheel of my 14 rubicon, to paint the plastic face plate areas around the steering wheel controls and the lower support pillar, and the horn covers center area. anyone know a good video guide to the disassemly? also, do i need to worry about setting off the airbag? I do not want to blow a detached airbag up in my face, should I disconnect the live battery terminal to avoid any complications with the air bag wanting to go off?

thanks in advance, the mountain that drives a jeep.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
The steering wheel of my 14 rubicon, to paint the plastic face plate areas around the steering wheel controls and the lower support pillar, and the horn covers center area. anyone know a good video guide to the disassemly? also, do i need to worry about setting off the airbag? I do not want to blow a detached airbag up in my face, should I disconnect the live battery terminal to avoid any complications with the air bag wanting to go off? thanks in advance, the mountain that drives a jeep.
don't know how to do it but definitely disconnect the battery before removing airbag. It blowing up in your face isn't the issue. The freakin things are 1600 bucks!

Sent using smoke signals
Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the battery. For at least 15 minutes prior to starting!!!!!!

Just to be safe^^^^^^^^

then get a t30 torx driver. Remove the two torx bolts holding the airbag/horn button assembly to the wheel. Carefully unplug the air bag connector and set it somewhere safe. And work away.

DONT START THE VEHICLE OR EVEN TURN ON THE KEY WHILE THE BAG IS OUT. IT WILL TRIGGER A HARD FAULT ON THE AIRBAG SYSTEM AND WILL REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE DEALER.

Reassemble in repeat order and THEN reconnect the battery.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Collyn
Disconnect the battery. For at least 15 minutes prior to starting!!!!!!

Just to be safe^^^^^^^^

then get a t30 torx driver. Remove the two torx bolts holding the airbag/horn button assembly to the wheel. Carefully unplug the air bag connector and set it somewhere safe. And work away.

DONT START THE VEHICLE OR EVEN TURN ON THE KEY WHILE THE BAG IS OUT. IT WILL TRIGGER A HARD FAULT ON THE AIRBAG SYSTEM AND WILL REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE DEALER.

Reassemble in repeat order and THEN reconnect the battery.
thanks! explosions and hard faults are what I was looking to avoid. Ill post a pic once I have the time to take it apart and paint it and re-assemble.

Quick Reply: So i want to take apart