Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spare tire removal

Old 10-23-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And why I don't live in Maryland...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know I understand a guy wanting to customize his rig. I understand the whole shaved and clean look.

The only thing I would be afraid of is that IF I did get rear ended after doing a 3rd. brake light removal, and IF somebody got injured real bad. Well then you only know they are going to investigate and look for every thing they can find. I don't know I can just hear the lawyers now..

Your rig, your rules but remember you asked and we warned you.

Man if nothing else get creative and do an LED in the center of your rear glass tucked up tight where it would not even hardly show until you braked.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I did some research and a third brake light has to be there and above the tail lights. It has to for a sort of "triangle" with the tail lights. I couldn't even get one of those hitch brake lights cause PA law states it has to be above the tail lights, in the center.

So I guess it stays on. And that's fine. I was just curious. I guess the pics of people taking their carrier off either take a chance or they live in a state where its fine to take off third brake light.

Thanks for info and opinions!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Well I did some research and a third brake light has to be there and above the tail lights. It has to for a sort of "triangle" with the tail lights. I couldn't even get one of those hitch brake lights cause PA law states it has to be above the tail lights, in the center. So I guess it stays on. And that's fine. I was just curious. I guess the pics of people taking their carrier off either take a chance or they live in a state where its fine to take off third brake light. Thanks for info and opinions!
You couldn't do a small led across the top part of the tailgate? Or mounted to the roll bar
Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
You couldn't do a small led across the top part of the tailgate? Or mounted to the roll bar
FWIW, I ran mine for five years with an aftermarket rear bumper & swing that didn't accomodate the third brake light. Never a hassle, but we don't have State mandated safety inspections, etc. I just installed a LitePLATE LED kit that incorporates a license plate light with 3 red third brake light LEDs. Wired up easy-peasy, through the existing brake light connector and with a patch over to the passenger side tail light. A non-intrusive look too that would be great for a no-spare tailgate. Availabe from Northridge and others.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Third brake light

Each state is different on their state requirements or inspections. All of the older vehicles doesn't have them so I would guess you're probably safe unless your state has an inspection requirement for vehicles after a certain date. I only got 24 years experience in WV and can't speak for other states.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Screw you dude. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I came on here to ask a question. If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to add then don't say anything. Cars in the 90s and older didn't have third brake lights and they run them all the time. To everyone else, thank you for the input. I kinda like the clean look of no spare or carrier on the back. I do light offroading, no rock crawling or anything, so the spare isn't imperative to have on the jeep at all times. Just was curious . Thanks
Relax Francis.

I live in Massachusetts and we have very strict inspection laws. That said I just got my inspection sticker last Saturday without my 3rd brake light working. And I got pulled over for speeding about a month ago and the cop never said a word to me about the 3rd brake light not working,
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly. Its a third brake light. I didn't resort to calling names till someone called me one. I'm just defending myself. So I hope you feel better about yourself calling me a name and swearing. Make you feel tough? Make you feel better than me? I hope so.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of posts were removed. Lets Please keep it civil fellas

Quick Reply: spare tire removal