Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer drops to zero occasionally while driving

Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
I am not saying this is your problem but it might be something to look into. Something with your abs control module or the connections to the control module. A few months back, I had all theses same symptoms but they stayed permanently. Abs light, esp/bas light, e-brake light, check engine light, and no speedometer. The only way I could find to get it checked out was to go to the dealer and have them run a diagnostics test. They looked through my whole system and told me everything was fine except for the abs control module. Being that yours comes and goes, I wouldn't think it is the module because I think that would be more of a permanent thing. Maybe connections leading into the control module though that are having problems while you are driving. Have you checked to see if there are any trouble codes stored??
I bought a superchip flash paq, waiting for it to show up so I can read the trouble codes. The check engine light is on so I am hoping it will help get to the bottom of the issue. It could be what your saying too, I will check the connections. It's been happening for a few months now.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. Keep us updated. Lots of good information on this site and a ton of people who are willing to help out.

If you don't want to wait for a code reader, you can do it right now in your jeep.

Turn your key to the on position and keep it pushed in toward the wheel. Then turn it to off position and back to on 3 times. The trouble codes will show up where you odometer is. Write them down and tell us what they are.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

So got my code reader. Turns out check engine light was on because of the "6 cylinder misfire". I got a letter in the mail from Chrysler about this back in June. ****... Well at least it's covered under warranty. I am now wondering if the engine misfire was the original cause of these issues. So every time the engine misfired the speedometer would drop to zero? Maybe who knows bringing her in to the shop.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Shop replaced cylinder heads under warranty and issue hasn't occurred since. So if this happens to you and you have an 2011 - 2013 jk you might wanna bring it in.

Quick Reply: Speedometer drops to zero occasionally while driving