Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spicer ultimate dana 44 front axle

Old 12-02-2016, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spicer ultimate dana 44 front axle

Does anyone have experience with the spicer dana 44 front axle? I was wondering if the Cs are the same as stock and if you can fit a normal jk truss on them later down the road?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle521
Does anyone have experience with the spicer dana 44 front axle? I was wondering if the Cs are the same as stock and if you can fit a normal jk truss on them later down the road?
They are the same as the Mopar Performance D44HD/J8 housing. 2.5" tubes will take the standard Rubi Truss kit.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle521
I put an Artec truss on my Ultimate 44. It was a Rubicon D44 truss. Before you do truss it I would strongly recommend replacing your upper control arm bushings with Currie's aftermarket ones. I did not and will have to have some work done to replace them when the time comes.

R/
Will
Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canvas
I put an Artec truss on my Ultimate 44. It was a Rubicon D44 truss. Before you do truss it I would strongly recommend replacing your upper control arm bushings with Currie's aftermarket ones. I did not and will have to have some work done to replace them when the time comes.

R/
Will

I run stock control arms.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the C's are still weak. Why would you buy a new housing and want to truss it? Why not a Dynatrac Pro rock 44 or something with thicker tube walls? Maybe I'm missing something
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Why would you buy a new housing and want to truss it? Why not a Dynatrac Pro rock 44 or something with thicker tube walls? Maybe I'm missing something
I was thinking the same thing
Old 12-03-2016, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

They've barely sold a handful of that axle for obvious reasons. You can get a G2 for the same price.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
I'm pretty sure the C's are still weak. Why would you buy a new housing and want to truss it? Why not a Dynatrac Pro rock 44 or something with thicker tube walls? Maybe I'm missing something
To start, The Cs aren't as weak as everyone seems to think on a stock JK axle. C gussets support the tube at the weld where the tube bends. The Military J8 Jeep runs those same Cs. The heavier tube on the new Spicer should be plenty. Google it and see if you can actually find a bent C . I personally took out a car with my front tire at 30 mph and didn't bend a C.
The Spicer is still around $800- $1000 cheaper then a G2 last time I priced them.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 12-03-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
To start, The Cs aren't as weak as everyone seems to think on a stock JK axle. C gussets support the tube at the weld where the tube bends. The Military J8 Jeep runs those same Cs. The heavier tube on the new Spicer should be plenty. Google it and see if you can actually find a bent C . I personally took out a car with my front tire at 30 mph and didn't bend a C. The Spicer is still around $800- $1000 cheaper then a G2 last time I priced them.
The tubes are 1/16" thicker (5/16") and the same 2.5" OD. Wall thickness after .25" barely adds strength, it's all in the OD. To say another way, the tubes are still a serious weak point. Even if you truss, you still have a weak housing at the cast/tube connection.

I built a G2 with an ARB and 35 spline RCVs for under $4k.

I've replaced bent Cs.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
To start, The Cs aren't as weak as everyone seems to think on a stock JK axle. C gussets support the tube at the weld where the tube bends. The Military J8 Jeep runs those same Cs. The heavier tube on the new Spicer should be plenty. Google it and see if you can actually find a bent C . I personally took out a car with my front tire at 30 mph and didn't bend a C.
The Spicer is still around $800- $1000 cheaper then a G2 last time I priced them.
hrm.. I now of two jeepers in my crowd that have bent Cs on their axles.

Quick Reply: Spicer ultimate dana 44 front axle