Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprintex or Maguson Supercharger on 3.8....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Da20captain
I considered an SC for a while. The Sprintex seemed to have an abundance of complaints about tuning issues so opted against that one despite it being fairly affordable. The Magnuson unit was what I had decided on for a few reasons. One reason being is that in my opinion it seemed to appear ore stock than a Sprintex. But if I recall there were a couple complaints about that one as well. But the individuals that o actually spoke to said they liked there Magnuson. FYI, AEV does not mess with them anymore..
In the end I did neither because I came across a Hemi swap thread posted by "Elusive" that seemed to indicate a V8 swap could be accomplished for less than $10k(but that is dependent on your mechanical abilities). So I did that. If you are willing to spend nearly $6k on an SC, for $1500-2000 more you could do a Hemi swap. And you can sell your 3.8 and trans for $1500+. And not to offend anyone with a 3.6, they are really not that impressive. I have driven a few stock 3.6's. Was disappointed.
Carefull dem's fightin words....knockin the pentajesus
Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with RIPP about two weeks ago and am very happy. Tune seems good and I gained about 50% more hp and torque. One factor for me was my JK is right hand drive so not all kits will fit. I do need to get a custom airbox made so I can plumb my snorkel back in when needed. RIPP is well made and the install was fast and is reversible.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tycho
I went with RIPP about two weeks ago and am very happy. Tune seems good and I gained about 50% more hp and torque. One factor for me was my JK is right hand drive so not all kits will fit. I do need to get a custom airbox made so I can plumb my snorkel back in when needed. RIPP is well made and the install was fast and is reversible.
RIPP and the Magnuson are both great and it was a tough choice. I decided on Magnuson due to its OEM use, performance, and fit and finish.

P.S. I was in Christchurch a few weeks ago. Hope you did OK through the most recent earthquake.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co99xj
RIPP and the Magnuson are both great and it was a tough choice. I decided on Magnuson due to its OEM use, performance, and fit and finish. P.S. I was in Christchurch a few weeks ago. Hope you did OK through the most recent earthquake.
Yeah ok out West although I was 4wding just up the coast when it hit
Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Well I ordered the sprintex getting installed next week. I'm saving almost 2k vs the maguson so I can spend that on a custom tune. There is a guy locally that's really good at tuning never done a jk b4 but said be no problem. Told me he would dyno b4 and after see gain! Plus I kinda like the whine of a sc and the sprintex seems louder. Seems like the sprintex produces a little more horsepower than the maguson with the right tune.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 02-21-2016, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, the Magnuson did not yield a crazy gain. I would have probably gone with it for fit and finish.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Montero26
Well I ordered the sprintex getting installed next week. I'm saving almost 2k vs the maguson so I can spend that on a custom tune. There is a guy locally that's really good at tuning never done a jk b4 but said be no problem. Told me he would dyno b4 and after see gain! Plus I kinda like the whine of a sc and the sprintex seems louder. Seems like the sprintex produces a little more horsepower than the maguson with the right tune.

I've had my sprintex fitted for over 3 years and intercooler just over a year on my 2010 auto unlimited 37's 4:88's
I was using the hypertech Tuner up until 6 weeks ago. But was never all that impressed with it .
Being based in Australia I called sprintex and enquired about the Diablo Tuner & ended up buying one from them and installed their shop tune , and I can't believe the difference it has made , pulls through all gears fuel use has dropped significantly it's a completely different beast, . best $400 I've spent since the whole kit was installed .
If anyone is still using the hypertech I'd advise them to bin it .

Jason
Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor

Sprintex has come a long way since the beginning. Spend the extra and get the intercooler.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Been running the Sprintex with intercooler and diablo tuner for 6 months and couldn't be happier. Great service, easy install, pulls great in the mountains of the North West, and sounds awesome. Running 37's with 5.38 gears and the only complaint I have is you need to run super unleaded and the gas mileage got worse than stock.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flog
I've had my sprintex fitted for over 3 years and intercooler just over a year on my 2010 auto unlimited 37's 4:88's I was using the hypertech Tuner up until 6 weeks ago. But was never all that impressed with it . Being based in Australia I called sprintex and enquired about the Diablo Tuner & ended up buying one from them and installed their shop tune , and I can't believe the difference it has made , pulls through all gears fuel use has dropped significantly it's a completely different beast, . best $400 I've spent since the whole kit was installed . If anyone is still using the hypertech I'd advise them to bin it . Jason
are u running Dana 60 in front or 30?

Quick Reply: Sprintex or Maguson Supercharger on 3.8....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!