Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel vs Aluminum

Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did your plastic fenders weigh ? I go ps alum VS steel the sheet metal is 22gauge at best for body
Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with GR aluminum tire carrier with Evo rear Drings and aluminum facia. I put Evo's 1/4 pounder in the front as I'm in the rocks a lot. This setup has been a great compromise (weight vs. strength) for me. You'll save lots of weight by staying with factory skids, they work great. Maybe co cider a trans plate if y have a 3.6 auto
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears GenRite is also using a steel winch plate in addition to steel dring tabs. I don't think any other mfg is doing this. GR knows what they are doing and knows that when strength is needed there is no substitute for steel. This is a good compromise.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by doberman1911
It appears GenRite is also using a steel winch plate in addition to steel dring tabs. I don't think any other mfg is doing this. GR knows what they are doing and knows that when strength is needed there is no substitute for steel. This is a good compromise.
Correct, the winch tray is steel and it tucks into the framerails to tie into them as well.
Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
To the people that have aluminum bumpers, if you went with aluminum to save weight why not just keep that stock bumpers?
I went aluminum to save weight over steel, not over stock components. In particular, the rear because the tire adds weight and I've had full steel bumpers in the rear. My front winch tray is empty because I had a winch and very rarely used it. I'm a realist- I don't take the jeep out often enough to justify that cost on the front bumper added to the mpg loss from an extra 100lbs on the front.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

So after reading what’s everyone has stated and thee good and the bad between steel and aluminum. I think if I were to go to aluminum bumper, (from what I have read), One the d-ring shackles should be welded on and be a part of the farm not just the bumper. Am I correct in my think? Also it comes down to what kind of off-roading you are doing. Wondering if there is anybody out there that has the Rockhard aluminum bumpers?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I

After wheeling other rig platforms in our local trails, I'd go with steel everything, unless you're not scraping your bumpers/belly at all on the trails. If you're not doing rocks, you don't need steel, if you're doing light rocks, alum skids will be ok, if you're hitting your bumper over rocks, doing lots of winching, etc, go with steel. If your stock bumpers/skids are intact after wheeling every trail you can think off, and your winching one every red moon, then go with alum.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Well all this info has help. That's why I love this forum. I just need to find that happy medium.

Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum