Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel vs Aluminum

Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum

So I have been reading over the last couple of weeks in different places, people that use steel bumpers vs aluminum bumpers. So I am wondering how many people use aluminum bumpers? I am under the impression that aluminum is light weight, however will not give you the full protection of steel. I have seen where people in places like Florida will use aluminum because there’s not much rock crawling there(just going by what I have read). Also read aluminum bumpers being used in Northeast due to salting of the roads during winter and aluminum wont rust. But now if you are using aluminum bumper what kind of off-roading are you doing? I am asking these question just to learn.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The obvious is that aluminum will gouge and dent easier. That said, I've had no problem doing that to me steel bumpers (which may imply that aluminum would have been a really bad idea for me).

I think the answer to the question really depends on the material used and how it is assembled. When aluminum is welded together, the weld is far weaker than the base material and prone to cracking. With steel, the weld is stronger than the base material.

If a bumper limits welds by using more bends, then it seems likely they used 5052-H32 (very bendable and weldable). It is also soft. 5000 series can not be hardened. If you look at the Artec skids, you will see some really odd looking sweeping curves. They use 6000 series T6. Very hard material and fully hardened. The downside is that it does not like to bend and requires a huge radius. However, they make those bends because they know the welds would not hold.

Knowing the above, I always struggle to think how a bumper made out of aluminum could be strong structurally. I sure wouldn't hook up to the d-rings to be pulled out. Maybe Genright figured it out. Can't say I've ever heard of a failure.

Rust is not an issue with steel if prepped well. If you live near the ocean or in a winter climate, have it dipped in chromium before paint or powder coat. Won't rust then.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

So I agree with what your are saying about aluminum not holding up as well as steel. I have been doing a lot of research on this lately. And really can't find anything on aluminum bumpers that shows how well they stand up. I also didn't know they Genright sold aluminum bumpers. Maybe I'll contact them and see what they say.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
So I agree with what your are saying about aluminum not holding up as well as steel. I have been doing a lot of research on this lately. And really can't find anything on aluminum bumpers that shows how well they stand up. I also didn't know they Genright sold aluminum bumpers. Maybe I'll contact them and see what they say.
I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt.

I think aluminum works for armor, fenders, and even skids (when accepting that it will dent easier). There is just too much welding required in a bumper in my opinion. Unless of course, you really don't use the bumper offroad. I've hit more trees and rocks with mine than I can think of. I've also use the d-rings for recovery a ton. I just wouldn't trust an aluminum bumper not to fail. Even if someone told me it wouldn't. I know aluminum properties well, including once bent and welded.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt.

I think aluminum works for armor, fenders, and even skids (when accepting that it will dent easier). There is just too much welding required in a bumper in my opinion. Unless of course, you really don't use the bumper offroad. I've hit more trees and rocks with mine than I can think of. I've also use the d-rings for recovery a ton. I just wouldn't trust an aluminum bumper not to fail. Even if someone told me it wouldn't. I know aluminum properties well, including once bent and welded.
x2

If you get a proper steel bumper and use it off road, you won't regret it. You want the strength for the bumper, especially around the shackle mounts, in case you need to do a double line pull.... or in my case where 4 Jeeps had to winch me out of a muddy pit.....
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bob987909

x2

If you get a proper steel bumper and use it off road, you won't regret it. You want the strength for the bumper, especially around the shackle mounts, in case you need to do a double line pull.... or in my case where 4 Jeeps had to winch me out of a muddy pit.....
I have an aluminum front and rear bumper. I don't do rock crawling, but I've hit trees with it off roading, I've pulled people out and been pulled out myself. Absolutely love the bumper and don't doubt the strength of it at all
Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Yuriy-if you don't mind me asking what brand do you have?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yuriy, I'd also like to know. I want more of an overlanding build, and I want to save weight where I can.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

As of right now I have just stock front and rear bumper. And I'm trying to as much research as I can before I buy. Living in NJ there are some trials. None which I consider too difficult. However, I want to travel out west hit up some of the places out there. And I know I might be doing more rock crawling and more technical trail riding. So this is why I have brought up this conversation.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
Yuriy-if you don't mind me asking what brand do you have?
I have rugged ridge aluminum XHD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150820_170627.png
Views:	215
Size:	641.0 KB
ID:	622087  

Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum