Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Gearbox Issues

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Gearbox Issues

Hello everyone, I got a question that I need a answer to ASAP. Sorry if this is in the wrong area but only place I could think of posting to. I've had death wobble problems in the past. Thought I got it cleared up but I got it again today. I've been through all steering components and all front suspension. I came to find that my gear box has a bit of play. I can move my sector shaft and pitman arm side to side just a tad but but I can move it up and down even further. Is there a way of correcting this or is the gearbox on its final legs? Please help. I need this rig freeway ready by tomorrow. Saturday if necessary. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I take that back, I can move it side to side more than I can move it up and down.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Can't help with box itself, but do a quick search for reviews on this and see what you think.

SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK Front Track Bar & Sector Shaft Brace Kit

A lot of people give it a
Old 03-13-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TK-421
I take that back, I can move it side to side more than I can move it up and down.
Did you check the torque on the pitman arm nut? The nut must be tightened to 185 foot pounds. When I changed to a drop arm I only tightened it to 160 foot pounds at first and it had play in it. Use a 3 foot piece of 2" pipe over the pitman arm end for hold-back while you torque so you don't screw up the steering box.

BTW: Death wobble is caused by loose track bar. Play in the steering will cause flightiness but only an axle shuttling side to side will cause death wobble.

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 03-13-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Gearbox Issues