Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue

Hey guys so heres the deal

I have a 2012 JK with a 3.5 inch RK lift, synergy tie tod, brand new steering box, lower adj. arms and adj, track bar. I just got an alignment two days ago and my jeep is still pulling left and the steering wheel is still isnt straight. Whenevr i straighten its fine until i hit a bump then it goes back to how it was.

does anyone know what the issue can be?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepjk2012
Hey guys so heres the deal

I have a 2012 JK with a 3.5 inch RK lift, synergy tie tod, brand new steering box, lower adj. arms and adj, track bar. I just got an alignment two days ago and my jeep is still pulling left and the steering wheel is still isnt straight. Whenevr i straighten its fine until i hit a bump then it goes back to how it was.

does anyone know what the issue can be?
What tires you running and tire pressure ? What is your castor set at ? Are you actually centering steering wheel via drag link
I would start with centering steering wheel make sure adjuster on drag link is tight, tires balanced and proper psi, check what
The toe in/out is set at, also check what the castor is set at. That stuff should be on alignment spec sheet....
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

and the steering wheel is still isnt straight. Whenevr i straighten its fine until i hit a bump then it goes back to how it was.
Pitman not tightened when the new box went in? Splines on the shaft twisted?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE

so i did a tire rotation and found a leak in one of the tires. After i filled it with air and rotated them, the jeep drove great! ..the only issue now is the steering wheel. I adjusted the steering from the draglink but when i hit a bump, it went crooked again

anyone experience that?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If everything else is tight and checks out, look real hard at your track bar mount at the axle. It could be ready to break or your track bar has worn bushings and/or heim joint. A track bar mount flexing/on its way out does exactly that: steering wheel changes from center.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Pitman nut MUST be tightened to 185 FT-LBS to properly pre-load the steering box internals. The 3 steering box bolts need 70 FT-LBS.

When tightening thee pitman arm, do NOT let the steering rotate to lock. You will damage the internals. I use a 4' x 2" pipe over the arm for hold-back.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok
If everything else is tight and checks out, look real hard at your track bar mount at the axle. It could be ready to break or your track bar has worn bushings and/or heim joint. A track bar mount flexing/on its way out does exactly that: steering wheel changes from center.
I order a new track bar yesterday. hopefully that solves my issue!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Pitman nut MUST be tightened to 185 FT-LBS to properly pre-load the steering box internals. The 3 steering box bolts need 70 FT-LBS.

When tightening thee pitman arm, do NOT let the steering rotate to lock. You will damage the internals. I use a 4' x 2" pipe over the arm for hold-back.
Ill re tighten the pitman arm this weekend to see if that works ..thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply: Steering issue