Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LSD or Tru-Trac?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock LSD or Tru-Trac?

I'm on deployment right now (it's more of a vacation with per diem this time, my last one was on a boat), and when I come home, I figure I'll have enough money to pay my Jeep off and regear it. I'm thinking of going to 4.10 to not destroy the D30's R&P with a front Tru-Trac. My question is it worth it to upgrade the factory rear LSD to a Tru-Trac? I don't know whether the stock one is gear driven or has a clutch pack. If I have enough I may end up getting a D44 for the front and go to 4.56 with a locker, maybe 37s. I'm not decided on whether I want a locker in the rear or keep an LSD for street driving if I go that route. I'm waiting to make that decision because I was talking to the Spicer rep at the Bantam Jeep Fest, and he said they were working on maybe releasing an Ultimate front D44.

My Jeep: '13 2dr, 3.6 manual, 35s (34.25 after about 12k miles), 3.73s. Drives ok here in the Lowcountry because it's flat, but I get out in a year and a half and am probably going back to Arizona where there's a lot more mountains or maybe Texas.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the lsd in the rear and put a e locker up front
Old 08-01-2015, 11:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The factory limited is clutch-based. If you plan to offroad it, a gear-driven truetrac would be the better option.

But, you need to decide on the 44 upgrade first. You might look for a set of take-off rubi axles. (newer rubi's have a choice between 3.73 and 4.10, so verify the ratio). Aftermarket 44's are pricey enough that you might skip them and look at a front 60 or a junkyard build instead. And if you are really considering 37's, this would probably be a much better route to go than dumping money into a 30.

Also, if you stay with either of the stock front housings, you should research the various forms of reinforcement.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The factory limited is clutch-based. If you plan to offroad it, a gear-driven truetrac would be the better option.

But, you need to decide on the 44 upgrade first. You might look for a set of take-off rubi axles. (newer rubi's have a choice between 3.73 and 4.10, so verify the ratio). Aftermarket 44's are pricey enough that you might skip them and look at a front 60 or a junkyard build instead. And if you are really considering 37's, this would probably be a much better route to go than dumping money into a 30.

Also, if you stay with either of the stock front housings, you should research the various forms of reinforcement.
I'm only undecided on the axle because I don't know how much I'll have when I get home. I'm only a month into deployment. I'm thinking way ahead. I would get Rubi axles if I can find them. I would never try putting 37s on a d30 lol, that's just me daydreaming. I live in the barracks too, so I can only work on my Jeep in the hobby shop and they kind of frown on anything more than a lift kit, so a junkyard build is out of the question. I really don't have time to wheel much when I work at least 10 hrs a day, just trying to get my Jeep ready to ride the Trans American Trail when I go on terminal leave. I was thinking of 4.10s and Tru-Tracs in my d30 because it's cheaper, won't turn the axle into a hand grenade, and it would hold me over for a while.

Quick Reply: Stock LSD or Tru-Trac?