Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock wheel offset with 1" 1/2 wheel spacers

Old 12-04-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wheel offset with 1" 1/2 wheel spacers

Right now I am running 35' x 12.50 with 1" 1/2 wheel spacers on the stock rubicon wheels.

Does anyone know what offset that would equal to on a wheel?

I am looking at a set of wheels now and its showing a 4.75 offset.

Kind of want to stay around the setup I have now as its almost flush with the fender flares.

We can't have tires stick out past the fender flares here in Cali, I think 1" past the flares would be fine, but anything more and they will most likely make you run mud flaps, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Look for wheels with 4.5 inch back spacing. That will get you the look you are looking for.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The stock have 6.25 BS. With ur spacers ur looking at 4.75 currently. (Edited)

Last edited by casamtb; 12-07-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tw!sted
Right now I am running 35' x 12.50 with 1" 1/2 wheel spacers on the stock rubicon wheels. Does anyone know what offset that would equal to on a wheel? I am looking at a set of wheels now and its showing a 4.75 offset. Kind of want to stay around the setup I have now as its almost flush with the fender flares. We can't have tires stick out past the fender flares here in Cali, I think 1" past the flares would be fine, but anything more and they will most likely make you run mud flaps, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
I think there are a few misconceptions here. First off u MIT be confusing offset with backspacing. In the jeep world we don't care about offset as much as a civic hotrod guy does. So... with that out of the way... I believe stock Rubi wheels are 6.25 BS. With 1.5" spacers that puts u at 4.75. I bet u rub on the frame and sway bar huh? I do... and I have 4.5" of BS with 12.5s. So... if u wanna keep those 35x12.5 tires, I'd go 4.5 at least. Wheels with 4.25 would better. Add a lift... now ur talking!!!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't address the tires sticking out past the flares problem. I live in Cali too. But I've yet to be harassed. I cut my fenders and the tires stick out a good two inches or so. I doubt it'll be an issue. Plus I'm not riding high. I'm not "ridin dirty". So I wouldn't care if I got pulled over. I'll address it if/when I have to.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Offset can be tricky, since it uses the specific rim width in the formula to determine how far in/out they will move. If you are looking at rims that only give Offset, do a quick online search for 'offset to backspace' converters/calculators/charts.

Ex.
8" wide rim: 12 offset = 5" backspace
10" wide rim: 12 offset = 6" backspace

Also remember that there can be a rather large difference in actual measured height and width between tires from different mfg's, even though they have the same stated size. So just because a certain tire size/backspace combo works for someone else, doesn't necessarily mean it will for you.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cjnomo
I think there are a few misconceptions here. First off u MIT be confusing offset with backspacing. In the jeep world we don't care about offset as much as a civic hotrod guy does. So... with that out of the way... I believe stock Rubi wheels are 6.25 BS. With 1.5" spacers that puts u at 4.75. I bet u rub on the frame and sway bar huh? I do... and I have 4.5" of BS with 12.5s. So... if u wanna keep those 35x12.5 tires, I'd go 4.5 at least. Wheels with 4.25 would better. Add a lift... now ur talking!!!
lol, yeah sorry for the confusion I meant backspacing. Realized I put offset when I posted this, couldn't find a way to change the title.. I have a 2.5 Teraflex coil lift. No rubbing even when fully flexed with my current setup.

Yeah sounds like 4.25 is where I want be on this.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Offset can be tricky, since it uses the specific rim width in the formula to determine how far in/out they will move. If you are looking at rims that only give Offset, do a quick online search for 'offset to backspace' converters/calculators/charts.

Ex.
8" wide rim: 12 offset = 5" backspace
10" wide rim: 12 offset = 6" backspace

Also remember that there can be a rather large difference in actual measured height and width between tires from different mfg's, even though they have the same stated size. So just because a certain tire size/backspace combo works for someone else, doesn't necessarily mean it will for you.

hmm, so the factory wheel is 7.5" wide, if going to a 9" width wheel do I need to take into account the width of the wheel as well? (e.g the additional 1.5"? ) Will this also affect how far the tire sticks out past the fender?

One of the wheels I am looking at is a 17x9 with a 4.7 backspacing.

My current setup is the stock 17 x 7.5 stock rubicon wheels with 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Sits pretty much flush with the fender flares now, maybe 1/2" past them.

I have a 2.5 Teraflex coil lift.

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

err, unless the tires are narrower than the rims, the actual rim width probably isn't much of a consideration. Lower backspacing moves the entire rim further out, and the section width of the tire will determine how wide the tires are. So with a 12.50" tread width, which is probably a 13-13.5" overall width, I would think that regardless of whether it is on a 10" wide rim, or an 8" wide rim, you still have several inches of tire sticking out further than the rims.

As someone else mentioned, stock rims should be around a 6.25" backspace. (that is what is stated in the faq's, anyway). Subtract the 1.50" spacer, and you have an effective 4.75" backspace right now. So if you put your current tires on rims with a 4.70 backspace, you shouldn't notice any difference at all as far as how far out the tires sit. A 4.5" backspace would be another 1/4 inch sticking out. A 4.0" bs would be another 1/2 inch sticking out. Much easier than trying to figure it out with offsets...

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-05-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
err, unless the tires are narrower than the rims, the actual rim width probably isn't much of a consideration. Lower backspacing moves the entire rim further out, and the section width of the tire will determine how wide the tires are. So with a 12.50" tread width, which is probably a 13-13.5" overall width, I would think that regardless of whether it is on a 10" wide rim, or an 8" wide rim, you still have several inches of tire sticking out further than the rims.

As someone else mentioned, stock rims should be around a 6.25" backspace. (that is what is stated in the faq's, anyway). Subtract the 1.50" spacer, and you have an effective 4.75" backspace right now. So if you put your current tires on rims with a 4.70 backspace, you shouldn't notice any difference at all as far as how far out the tires sit. A 4.5" backspace would be another 1/4 inch sticking out. A 4.0" bs would be another 1/2 inch sticking out. Much easier than trying to figure it out with offsets...
Ah ok, got it.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Stock wheel offset with 1" 1/2 wheel spacers