Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretching Rear on a 4dr

Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
To run 42x13.5" tires I would recommend a 72" WMS with a 3.5-4" BS to maintain full turn and have room for axle rotation during articulation. Of course your suspension design and amount of travel you have will be a factor. With a conventional coil set up at 4" of lift you are not going to have much up travel without major cutting of the tub, but being a crawler that may not be an issue for you. I would really recommend you look at a double triangulated long arm with coil overs if you are looking to climb about anything.

You could also just by "Bane" it is already set up on 42" MTR's and ready to roll. I think it is still for sale. The first thing he did was buy 42" tires then the learning began on how to fit them.
Thanks for all the help dirtman. After alot of research it doesnt look cost beneficial to myself in the end to just gain a few extra inches of clearance. The motor struggles with that size of a tire seem to be very real. Wheeling in the south means your on most of the time rock/mud mixed trails which will call for the need of tire spin. Looks like ill stick to the 37/38" tire size with a full polished set of rubi axles to start.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I am not trying to talk you to of a JKU but have you considered a LJ? Not such a long wheel base and you won't have the electronic issues to deal with on extreme builds. If you run tight trails the LJ will not be as wide either. I am at 86" outside of tires with 40's. If I had to do it again I would have built a buggy and kept the JK on 35's
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

When I made the jump to 40" I got new control arms and it pushed the dead end back about 2" which really helped. Also did apt of trimming

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3008468166.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	617179
Old 07-07-2015, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

To run 42x13.5" tires I would recommend a 72" WMS with a 3.5-4" BS to maintain full turn and have room for axle rotation during articulation. Of course your suspension design and amount of travel you have will be a factor. With a conventional coil set up at 4" of lift you are not going to have much up travel without major cutting of the tub, but being a crawler that may not be an issue for you. I would really recommend you look at a double triangulated long arm with coil overs if you are looking to climb about anything.

You could also just by "Bane" it is already set up on 42" MTR's and ready to roll. I think it is still for sale. The first thing he did was buy 42" tires then the learning began on how to fit them.
Thanks for this info. Planning out the details on what I need to do to clear 40" or 42" MTRs (or 41.5 PBRs) with Mopar D60s, and EVO High clearance LAs and DTD/Lever.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigPrince
Thanks for this info. Planning out the details on what I need to do to clear 40" or 42" MTRs (or 41.5 PBRs) with Mopar D60s, and EVO High clearance LAs and DTD/Lever.
Welcome to JK Forum
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreatWhite JK
Welcome to JK Forum
Oh wow - I've been posting and reading on the various JK forums and never realized I haven't actually posted here.
Better late than never huh?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

It's not all that hard been running that setup for 3 years I did stretch my rear about 3" to put the wheel in the center of the wheel well your mostly looking at getting rid of the pinch seam that what gets in the way when your at full stuff.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	gatekeeper1.jpg
Views:	2359
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	617188
Old 07-07-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt say the pbr is true to size. It was measured at 40.25 at 20 psi on a 4 door.

Dirt nailed it all. I could have got a steal on a Jimmies chassis and kept the jeep on 35s.

All in all you have alot to research. Id say 99 percent of the guys with jks on 40s dont wheel them to there full potential. Mainly show and moderate offroad or youd see a lot more broke. Ive seen plenty of d60s get destroyed on 40s. So comes down to your needs and wheeling styles. If for show bolt on the evo kit and ramp it off a curb.

Last edited by Maertz; 07-07-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

I am not trying to talk you to of a JKU but have you considered a LJ? Not such a long wheel base and you won't have the electronic issues to deal with on extreme builds. If you run tight trails the LJ will not be as wide either. I am at 86" outside of tires with 40's. If I had to do it again I would have built a buggy and kept the JK on 35's
Well theres a reason im needing to make the move to a JKU or i would just keep building my XJ up more. I need the room for my family to come along with me with the addition of a new child on the way. Wife,2 kids, and of course the damn dog I didnt mention im 6'6" 290lb bodybuilder so i dont really fit in much of anything to begin with .

I will say LJ are nice and was actually my choice before the JKU. There just no damn room in one for me or anyone else behind me. Car seats take up way too much room.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by austinemiller
When I made the jump to 40" I got new control arms and it pushed the dead end back about 2" which really helped. Also did apt of trimming

Attachment 617179
Are you local? That pic of your jeep on the trail looks like Upper Ditch at Hawk Pride Mountain.

Quick Reply: Stretching Rear on a 4dr