Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck hub/shaft

Old 04-24-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck hub/shaft

Was trying to do my ball joints over the weekend and I couldn't get the shaft and hub free from the knuckle. I used a slide hammer and the thing didn't budge. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBud
Was trying to do my ball joints over the weekend and I couldn't get the shaft and hub free from the knuckle. I used a slide hammer and the thing didn't budge. Anyone got any ideas?
I'm sure you've done this, but I'll ask the obvious just in case. You took the three bolts out of the back of the wheel bearing hub assembly? If so, the easiest way to get that part off is with a gear puller after you've soaked it good with PB blaster or your fav penetrating grease. Once the assembly is off, the axle shaft will come out by hand. Be sure to watch for this plastic washer that is on the shaft if it's never been pulled before. If you don't find that, then look in your axle tube for it. You can throw it away. You don't want it staying in the axle tube and then getting all crammed up when you slide the axle shaft back in.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Where are things hung up? I've used a socket on the the bolts with a bfh to loosen things up. I've heard of even going so far as using the power steering and a socket to knock the hub out of the knuckle.

During reassembly be sure to slather everything in anti-seize.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
I'm sure you've done this, but I'll ask the obvious just in case. You took the three bolts out of the back of the wheel bearing hub assembly? If so, the easiest way to get that part off is with a gear puller after you've soaked it good with PB blaster or your fav penetrating grease. Once the assembly is off, the axle shaft will come out by hand. Be sure to watch for this plastic washer that is on the shaft if it's never been pulled before. If you don't find that, then look in your axle tube for it. You can throw it away. You don't want it staying in the axle tube and then getting all crammed up when you slide the axle shaft back in.
Yea I took the three bolts out they were really seized up. I broke my ratchet tryin to get them out then one of the bolts broke off so I gotta drill it out now. I'll give the gear puller a try.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JKBud
Yea I took the three bolts out they were really seized up. I broke my ratchet tryin to get them out then one of the bolts broke off so I gotta drill it out now. I'll give the gear puller a try.
Soak everything with PB Blaster... wait a couple hours and then soak it again... then come back tomorrow and pull it.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Where are things hung up? I've used a socket on the the bolts with a bfh to loosen things up. I've heard of even going so far as using the power steering and a socket to knock the hub out of the knuckle. During reassembly be sure to slather everything in anti-seize.
Just the hub being seized to the knuckle itself. Can you explain more on using the power steering?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soak everything with PB Blaster... wait a couple hours and then soak it again... then come back tomorrow and pull it.
I'll do just that.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Put a deep well impact socket between the back of the wheel bearing and the inner C. Start the jeep and slowly turn the wheel. That should push the wheel bearing out. Of course, don't do that if you plan on keeping the unit bearing. It could destroy it.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Be sure to watch for this plastic washer that is on the shaft if it's never been pulled before. If you don't find that, then look in your axle tube for it. You can throw it away.
Those plastic washers on the inboard end of the axle shafts have a definite purpose. They keep the end of the shaft in line with the seal as the axle shaft is installed.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Those plastic washers on the inboard end of the axle shafts have a definite purpose. They keep the end of the shaft in line with the seal as the axle shaft is installed.
Well I'll be danged. Everything I've seen to this point has said to ditch them. Makes sense now that you've said that.

Quick Reply: Stuck hub/shaft