Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck hub/shaft

Old 04-24-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Well I'll be danged. Everything I've seen to this point has said to ditch them. Makes sense now that you've said that.
Mine came with two on each axle. They were arranged so one was "spooning" the other.
When I went back together, I arranged them so the concave sides faced each other; like putting your palms together, and cupping them out from each other. This will prevent them from sliding down the shaft upon installation, and from remaining in the axle housing upon next removal.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just smack it with a hammer. It's really not hard.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the bolts are out, and the axle nut has been removed, it should be hard, but not difficult to remove.

If you do end up replacing the hubs, make sure you get the right ones. There are two different length ABS wires. You'll want the ones with the longer wires, or at a minimum, you'll want to replace them with longer wheel speed sensors. They're only $20 a piece at Quadratec.

I got mine loose by soaking everything in Pb Blaster. It also helped when I put some heat on the stub shaft end (from the outside). Then sprayed Pb Blaster on it while it was still hot. Keep a rag handy as it will probably catch fire. Then apply more heat.

If you don't have access to Oxy/Acc torches (I didn't) buy a bottle of MAP gas (yellow bottle) for a standard propane torch. MAP burns hotter than the blue bottle.

Then put the three bolts back in but leave about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of thread. Put a disposable socket on the end of them, one at a time, and give it some whacks with a BFH.

Persistence. It'll come off.

Let us know how you got it out.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Just smack it with a hammer. It's really not hard.
Yep, rubber faced dead blow, and put a chunk of 2x4 wood against the bearing and start beating it.

Or, put the wheel and tire back on and go for a ride! That should get it off! (Just kidding, don't do that!)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
As long as the bolts are out, and the axle nut has been removed, it should be hard, but not difficult to remove.

If you do end up replacing the hubs, make sure you get the right ones. There are two different length ABS wires. You'll want the ones with the longer wires, or at a minimum, you'll want to replace them with longer wheel speed sensors. They're only $20 a piece at Quadratec.

I got mine loose by soaking everything in Pb Blaster. It also helped when I put some heat on the stub shaft end (from the outside). Then sprayed Pb Blaster on it while it was still hot. Keep a rag handy as it will probably catch fire. Then apply more heat.

If you don't have access to Oxy/Acc torches (I didn't) buy a bottle of MAP gas (yellow bottle) for a standard propane torch. MAP burns hotter than the blue bottle.

Then put the three bolts back in but leave about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of thread. Put a disposable socket on the end of them, one at a time, and give it some whacks with a BFH.

Persistence. It'll come off.

Let us know how you got it out.
Why apply heat to the stub shaft end? The axle shaft is not preventing unit bearing removal in any way.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Well I'll be danged. Everything I've seen to this point has said to ditch them. Makes sense now that you've said that.
Most ditch them and just are careful not to damage the seal when installing the shaft. I think it was kjeeper who indeed up finding his got pushed against the seal and actually damaged the seal as it spun.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a socket between the inner c and the outer yoke. Have a friend turn the wheel back and forth alternating which side the socket is on. I did this without the vehicle running and there was plenty of leverage. My unit bearings walked out perfectly which was impressive for 100k miles in Michigan winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_h39RMjWAw
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got through wheel bearings every 1-2 months. You guys must have better luck than me if they're on long enough to seize up lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got through wheel bearings every 1-2 months. You guys must have better luck than me if they're on long enough to seize up lol.
You also drive through gritty north-east mud/clay. I think this crap we have around here eats parts. That's why I try to stick only to rock and I stay out of the woods if it's rained within a week. Dry only. Where you go, there is water, grit and mud all over. I hope I don't eat them every month or 2!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

You have an underlying problem or you are racing KOH every week. This on stock axles? Every month or two I'd be looking to go with a d60

Quick Reply: Stuck hub/shaft